SLOVAKIA: RISK SUMMARY
- Smooth First Months, But Frictions Possible. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Central Europe & Baltic States;Feb2007, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p1
The article discusses the efforts of former Slovakian Prime Minister Vladimir Meciar to widen the political influence of his Movement for a Democratic Slovakia (HZDS) party in response to its small representation in the coalition entity comprising the Slovak National Party (SNS) and Smer. Meciar...
- Fico: KDH acting like Taliban. // Slovak Spectator;10/29/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 41, p2
Reports on the move of the Slovak non-parliamentary Smer party chairman Robert Fico to compare the coalition Christian Democratic Party with the Taliban government of Afghanistan. Reason for the comparison; Plan of the Smer party following the 2002 elections.
- Fico engages opposition parties. BALOGOVÁ, BEATA // Prague Post;3/21/2012, Vol. 21 Issue 12, pA12
The article reports that Robert Fico and his Smer party are preparing to govern Slovakia's first post-communist single-party government.
- News Briefs. Holt, Ed // Slovak Spectator;06/19/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 24, p2
Presents news briefs in Slovakia as of June 2000. Details of the agreement on cooperation between the Party of Civic Understanding and the Social-Democratic Party of Slovakia; Update on the rising respect for human rights in the region; Proposal of Smer party leader Robert Fico to cut social...
- Meciar's Election Chances Falter. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Central Europe;Sep2002, Vol. 9 Issue 9, p6
Reports the chances of prime minister Vladimir Meciar in the parliamentary elections in Slovakia. Formation of party coalitions; Economic impact of the coalitions; Populist influence of leftist leader Robert Fico.
- Nationalist Fico Fancies Himself to Save the Euro. Ehl, Martin // Transitions Online;10/24/2011, p5
The article reports on Slovakia's leftwing Smer party chief Robert Fico, whose party is expected to gain 45 percent of the vote in the early elections. Fico said the country's right-wing government has failed to initiate any projects that would boost economic growth. Fico considers himself as...
- Smer Likely To Rethink Coalition. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Central Europe & Baltic States;Jul2010, Vol. 17 Issue 7, p8
The article reports the implication of Prime Minister Robert Fico's Direction Social Democracy (Smer) party to the parliamentary election on June 12, 2010. It focuses on the popularity declination of the Smer party in the polls. It depicts the popularity coalition between Smer Party and the...
- SLOVAK REPUBLIC: Country Forecast: Political Framework. // Political Risk Yearbook: Slovak Republic Country Report;2006, p25
The article profiles the key players of Slovakia's politics and government as of November 2005. Prime Minister Mikulï¿½ Dzurinda aims to attract private foreign investment. Rï¿½bert Fico is the leader of the center-left Smer-Social Democracy, which is expected to be the front-runner in the...
- Slovakia Turns Left, Russia Boots Legal Aid Group. Frye, Barbara; Caloianu, Ioana // Transitions Online;3/12/2012, p5
The article offers several news briefs as of 12 March, 2012. Voters of Slovakia have turned the parliament by giving winning votes to Smer-Social Democracy Party which is led by former Prime Minister Robert Fico. The right of a legal advocacy group that helps Chechen human rights claimants has...