Support for Charter School Grants Grows as Education Bill Takes Shape
- Calif. Charter-Funding Fight Hits Home. Hendrie, Caroline // Education Week;1/15/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 18, p1
Reports on a reduction in annual financial aid by the U.S. administration to charter schools in California following modifications in the Senate Bill 740. Implication of changes in the law on nonclassroom-based education; Response of educators to the modifications.
- State-chartered schools. Lewis, Anne C. // Education Digest;Oct91, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p53
Discusses the Public School Redefinition Act of 1991, which would award grants to states to start schools designed by parents, teachers and local communities who submit applications that meet certain criteria. State-chartered schools; Minnesota social policy analyst Ted Kolderie; Introduction...
- Education Deal May Be in the Cards. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;9/19/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31226, p4
Reports the disagreement between the United States Congress and the Senate regarding education bills to provide grants to charter schools. Use of bond issues to finance charter schools; Plans to establish charter schools and expand school facilities; Consolidation of school finance projects...
- Key Democrat's Plan Would Boost charter Schools. Hoff, David J. // Education Week;3/19/2008, Vol. 27 Issue 28, p19
The article focuses on U.S. Representative Rahm Emanuel's proposal to President George W. Bush's $300m private-school-choice plan. A Democrat from Illinois, Emanuel's plan proposes parents of children attending low-performing schools to enroll their children in a charter school or a public...
- Politicians, research findings, and school choice. Lewis, Anne C. // Phi Delta Kappan;Jun98, Vol. 79 Issue 10, p723
Discusses two issues related to education. Survey of education-related bills passed in the United States Congress; How these bills overrode efforts to make good policies for education; Impact of policies which have created charter schools; Views of charter proponents; Possible effects of the...
- Advocates seek revisions in many charter laws. Lindsay, Drew // Education Week;3/27/96, Vol. 15 Issue 27, p18
Reports on the efforts of charter school advocates in the United States to rewrite the original charter school laws. Proposal to raise or lift the law's limit of 100 charter schools; Comments from charter school member legislators.
- First Nine States Receive Federal Reading First Grants; Funding to Begin Flowing this Spring. // Educational Marketer;9/16/2002, Vol. 33 Issue 27, p1
Reports that nine states are set to be the first to receive the United States government's Reading First grants under a program to help improve students' reading achievement that was established in the No Child Left Behind federal education reform act.
- The New Three R's: Reinvestment, Reinvention, Responsibility. Lieberman, Joseph I. // Issues in Science & Technology;Spring2001, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p37
Discusses the significance of money, creativity and accountability in the development of high quality schools and teachers in the United States. Decline in the number of students receiving undergraduate degrees in engineering; Aim of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act; Proposal to link...
- Goals 2000: Making it work. Riley, Richard W. // Teaching Pre K-8;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p6
States that after president Clinton signed the Goals 2000: Educate America Act into law, more than 30 states have received more than $70 million in federal money to assist in ongoing statewide and local efforts to improve their schools. No state's school reform plan is alike; Three states'...