Tracking Towers Is No Easy Task
- A 1200 Pound Gorilla on Wheels. Ford, Steve // QST;Jun2013, Vol. 97 Issue 6, p20
The article describes how the author built and used a tower trailer to transport and install his radio transceiver antenna for portable operations. The author says he built a low-cost utility trailer from a kit, which is available from leading home improvement retailers and tool importers. He...
- WIRELESS Gaining Momentum in Remote Monitoring. Murray, Charles J. // Design News;Apr2015, Vol. 70 Issue 4, p32
The article discusses the vast potential of wireless monitoring due to the savings derived from using no wires. Topics covered are its practical concept of linking a sensor to a wireless card and broadcasting the data via radio to a receiver, that cases presenting cabling difficulties are prime...
- Turning balloons into towers. McCarthy, Bill // Mobile Radio Technology;Aug2003, Vol. 21 Issue 8, p40
Focuses on the concept of using weather balloons rather than towers to provide communications in the U.S. Delivery of telemetric information, data and voice; Provision of communications services to remote areas; Improvement of the battery size and power production; Accounts on the launching of...
- Antique clocks go nuclear. Glaskin, Max // New Scientist;3/29/2003, Vol. 177 Issue 2388, p18
Historic clocks across Britain will be nudged into Summer Time by signals from an atomic timepiece this on the morning of March 30, 2003. Fifteen antique turret clocks have been fitted with radio receivers and automatic regulators to adjust their delicate mechanisms without involving any human...
- NBS post scripts. Ellis, Marc // Popular Electronics;Aug94, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p73
Focuses on the antique radio designed by the National Bureau of Standards (NBS) in the 1920s as a starter project for budding electronics enthusiasts. Construction; Performance; Earlier NBS design; Readers' comments about the radio; Publications on antique radios.
- Scanning sky-high surveillance operations. Saxon, Marc // Popular Electronics;Aug94, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p88
Presents the Radio Shack PRO-2027 desktop scanner. Features; Capabilities; Uses; Benefits.
- Receivers. // Consumer Reports;Mar1995, Vol. 60 Issue 3, p188
Presents tips on how to evaluate radio receivers. Types; Prices; Key features; Reliability; Surround-sound basics; Power and compatibility; Frequency modulation performance; Yamaha; Sherwood; Sony; Onkyo; Kenwood; Technics; JVC; Philips. INSET: Features: Sorting out the controls..
- DIGITAL RADIO RECEIVERS ON RISE. Ross, T. Carter // Radio World;3/14/2012, p14
The article reports that there is increase in use of digital radio receivers for cars and home use.
- What's Ailing A/V Receivers? Palenchar, Joseph // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;5/4/2015, Vol. 30 Issue 9, p10
The article reports on the single-digit percentage rates of the sales of audio/video receivers (AVRs).