- NTT DoCoMo plans experimental 4G system. // RCR Wireless News;3/25/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p40
Announces the plan of NTT DoCoMo Inc. to construct an experimental system for fourth-generation (4G) packet wireless communications. Features of the experimental 4G system; Schedule of its launching.
- 3G Makes Quiet Debut In Tokyo. Marek, Sue // Wireless Week;10/8/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 41, p1
Reports on the launching of the third-generation (3G) wireless network by NTT DoCoMo in Japan. Availability of the 3G network; Number of new customers expected to subscribe to the 3G; Factors which may affect the market popularity of the network in the country.
- 3G Hits A Technology Speed Bump. Drucker, Elliott // Wireless Week;7/2/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 27, p20
Comments on the decision of NTT DoCoMo, a wireless operator in Japan, to suspend its third-generation (3G) trial and recall all its trial handsets. Information on the concern about the high-speed wireless data services; Purpose of the 3G trials; Positive aspects of DoCoMo's decision.
- 3G: Is The Race Over? Smith, Brad // Wireless Week;05/07/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 19, p1
Discusses the issue of which telecommunication carrier in Japan will win the race to third generation (3G) wireless communication after NTT DoCoMo has delayed its 3G launch. Elements that make up the IMT-2000 or 3G standard; First carriers in the United States with 3G networks; Likely result if...
- A new i-mode of communication. Kilburn, David // Marketing Week;7/20/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 25, p30
Reports that DoCoMo is counting on the success of its wireless Internet technology i-mode in Japan to enable it to dominate Europe's wireless application markets. Purchase of a 20 percent stake in British communications firm Hutchison 3G; Improvement plans for i-mode; Development of a broader...
- BITS. // Wireless Week;6/3/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 22, p24
Presents news briefs concerning the U.S. wireless communications industry, as of June 2002. Number of base stations installed by Lucent to support code division multiple access 2000 1XRTT technology; Information on the efforts of Verizon Wireless to collect used mobile telephones; Launch of a...
- Lucent breaks into European market. Luna, Lynnette // Telephony;12/11/2000, Vol. 239 Issue 24, p12
Reports on the decision of Spain's Telefonica Moviles to select Lucent Technologies as one of its universal mobile telecommunication system (UMTS) suppliers for its 3G consortium in Germany. Supply agreement between Lucent and Telefonica; Markets where Telefonica has secured UMTS licenses;...
- Today, Tokyo Tomorrow, the World! Rohwer, Jim // Fortune;9/18/2000, Vol. 142 Issue 6, p140
Focuses on the wireless Web service company, NTT DoCoMo, in Japan. Success of the cellular company; Potential of the i-mode phones; Obstacles that DoCoMo faces with its lack of international experience; Details of revenues, profits, and share price.
- America's bad call. Stross, Randall E. // U.S. News & World Report;09/04/2000, Vol. 129 Issue 9, p47
Reports on the failure of the United States to remain competitive in the international cellular telephone-based Internet industry. Ubiquity of Web phone technology in Japan; Wireless telecommunication services offered by Japan's NTT DoCoMo; Political aspects of America's stunted growth in the...