Provision of 401(k) Plan Investment Advice: Trap for the Unwary Financial Planner
- Survey: Few 401(K) trustees are insurers. // Best's Review / Life-Health Insurance Edition;Jan1998, Vol. 98 Issue 9, p66
Presents survey results related to 401 (K) plans in the United States. Types of organizations serving as plan trustees; Average participation rate in 401 (K) plans; Permitted percentage of pretax contribution; Charges for loan provisions.
- Tool Helps Reduce Risk for 401(k) Plans. McGuinness, Kevin // Plan Advisor News;2014, p13
The article reports that business advisory firm TB Strategic Consulting Inc. has released the Fire System, an online 401 (k) self assessment tool for plan fiduciaries in the U.S.
- Understanding Welfare Benefit Trusts. Aghili, Shaun // Journal of Financial Planning;Jan2002, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p80
Examines the mechanics of section 419 of Welfare Benefit Trusts in the United States. Use of cash value life insurance policies among the insurance marketers; Description of section 419 of Welfare Benefit trusts; Recommendations to reduce the existing abuses with regard to plans; Risk of the...
- In Gifts We Trust. Scroggin, John J. // Financial Planning;Sep2000, Vol. 30 Issue 9, p93
Part III. Discusses the issues that financial planners in the United States must consider before recommending and implementing gifting programs in trust. Taxation of generation-skipping trusts gifts; Impact of gifts in trust on beneficiaries; Gifting using powers of attorney and court orders;...
- First Union suit may help define responsibility. Jacobius, Arleen // Pensions & Investments;9/20/1999, Vol. 27 Issue 19, p1
Reports on a lawsuit brought by participants in First Union Corp.'s 401(k) plan. Expected definition of a plan sponsor's fiduciary responsibility for choosing the fund it offers; Filing of suit in United States District Court in Richmond, Virginia. INSET: Service providers aren't concerned.
- Setting aside money for later generations. // Medical Economics;12/5/2008, Vol. 85 Issue 23, p28
The article provides answers to questions related to money management in the U.S., including dynasty trust, rules on deducting a stock purchase and when to send money for the 401(k) plan.
- Which type of trust is right for you? // Urology Times;Jan2010, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p39
The article presents questions and answers related to trust assets including the most common types of trust utilized by American physicians in estate planning and the important points in maximizing benefits gained from working with financial advisers.
- Fight On. Ritter, John K. // Financial Planning;Apr2012, Vol. 42 Issue 4, p112
The author reflects on the implications of the fiduciary debate in the U.S. on the registered investment advisor's (RIA) profession. He argues that a few planning professionals have joined and voiced out their opinion on the debate on how to define and apply a fiduciary standard despite that...
- A New Take on Prudence: The Role of Trustees in Life Insurance in a Changing Environment. Severs, Matthew L.; Harriman, Philip E. // Journal of Practical Estate Planning;Apr2009, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p41
The article discusses the impact of economic crises in the role of trustees under the Uniform Prudent Investor Act (UPIA) in the U.S. It mentions the five guiding principles of the UPIA, which are designed for trustees towards prudent trust asset management. Further, it stresses the significance...