EAT WELL AND LOWER YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE
- Diet and high blood pressure. Schein, J. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Jan1989, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p16
Covers the relationship between diet and high blood pressure. Calcium and hypertension; Salt-free diets; The role of fats; Types of fats; Cholesterol. INSET: `What is blood pressure?'..
- DASH a diet for all diseases. Liebman, Bonnie // Nutrition Action Health Letter;Oct97, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p10
Details the study, `DASH--Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension,' which indicates that eating the right foods also prevents high blood pressure. Background on designing DASH; Other strategies for keeping blood pressure optimal; Benefits of a typical DASH menu; Food and servings; DASH study's...
- Easing the pressure. White, Joyce // Essence (Essence);Nov97, Vol. 28 Issue 7, p48
Relates how Gail Lloyd found the key to blood-pressure control. Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) study; Side effects of long-term use of medication for hypertension; Foods included in the daily DASH menu.
- The food-and-hypertension connection. Hopkins, Tracy E.; Jones, Sally // Heart & Soul;Oct/Nov97, Issue 23, p20
The article discusses the study conducted by Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) regarding the effect of certain foods in controlling hypertension. Foods which lowered blood pressure; Effect of the strategies used in the study on Black Americans and White Americans.
- Healthy habits for hypertension. // Consumer Reports on Health;May98, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p6
Presents information on how dietary changes can reduce risk of high blood pressure as compared with drug therapy. Identification of a nutrient which can reduce blood pressure; Indepth look at a report which linked a low-sodium diet with an increased overall death rate; Information on nondrug...
- Pounds and pressure. Rubin, Rita // U.S. News & World Report;8/23/93, Vol. 115 Issue 8, p66
Discusses two new studies which conclude that losing just a few pounds can make a long-lasting dent in many cases of mild hypertension. The research also shows that adding modest doses of medication to such healthful lifestyle changes can further lower blood pressure. Estimated number of...
- Tame Teen Blood Pressure. VanTine, Julia // Prevention;Mar2001, Vol. 53 Issue 3, p42
Recommends foods that will help to lower high blood pressure in teenagers.
- The DASH to lower blood pressure. Hoffer, Leonard John // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;12/15/97, Vol. 157 Issue 12, p1657
Explains the effects of folic acid deficiency upon health, especially relating to increased blood pressure. Effects of elevated serum blood homocysteine concentration; Eating of foods deficient in folic acid; Details about the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) trial; Other...
- Results from the second DASH study. // Patient Care;7/30/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 14, p9
Discusses the study `Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)-Sodium' trial, presented at the May 2000 scientific meeting of the American Society of Hypertension in New York City. How reducing dietary sodium may lower blood pressure as well as medication can; Difference between a typical...