It's Not Just About The Bike, Or The Running, Or Sports At All
- Flying blind. Jenkins, Sally // Self;Oct2001, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p78
Recounts the struggles and triumphs of Marla Runyan, a legally blind world-class runner. Her response to blindness; Effect of the Stargardt's disease on her vision; Runyan's struggles to reach the Olympic Games; Other senses Runyan uses when running; Significance of running for Runyan.
- USABA. // Palaestra;Fall2001, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p11
Highlights news items from the United States Association of Blind Athletes (USABA) organization for the fall of 2001. Goal of the golf tournament hosted by USABA in Bay Harbor, Michigan; Value of the William E. Simon Olympic Endowment Fund Grant received by Marla Runyan, the first legally blind...
- USABA. // Palaestra;Spring2001, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p12
Presents news briefs on the United States (U.S.) Association of Blind Athletes as of Spring 2001. Record set by Marla Runyan, a legally blind athlete, at the Armory Track and Field Center in New York; Recipients of the U.S. Olympic Spirit Awards; Events featured at the 2001 National Sports...
- Flying Blind. Alexander, Jake; Kennedy, Kostya; Deitsch, Richard // Sports Illustrated;11/4/2002, Vol. 97 Issue 18, p19
Focuses on U.S. marathon runner Marla Runyan. Biographical information; How Runyan is considered among the U.S. favorites in the 2002 New York City Marathon, despite being legally blind; Possible problems that Runyan could encounter while running the race.
- MARLA RUNYAN: Late start, fast finish. // Psychology Today;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 38 Issue 6, p49
Profiles blind runner Marla Runyan. Achievements in distance running; Challenges she experienced in pursuing her interest in running during high school; Efforts she exerted after graduate school to continue her running career.
- Vision of Victory. Lambert, Pam; Hardy, Alexandra // People;06/19/2000, Vol. 53 Issue 24, p95
Profiles legally blind runner Marla Runyan and her goal to appear in the Sydney Olympics in 2000.
- Freihofer's Run for Women 5-K. // Runner's World;Sep2003, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p98
Reports on the performance of runners Brianna Jackucewicz, Marla Runyan and Carmen Troncoso in a running race in Albany, New York on May 31, 2003.
- Golden opportunities. Wilmore, Kathy // Junior Scholastic;4/19/96, Vol. 98 Issue 17, p10
Profiles of four athletes and how they aspired to realize their dreams at the Olympics. Background information on the career of gymnast Jair Lynch; How runner Marla Runyan overcame the odds of a rare disease at nine to compete in track & field summer Olympics of 1996; What motivated swimmer...
- NYRRC 5000-Meter Record Challenge. // Runner's World;Jun2001, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p75
Presents the record set by Marla Runyan, winner of the New York Road Runner Club 5000-Meter Record Challenge in New York City on February 18, 2001.