Riches in Enrichment
- Fueling the Nuclear Renaissance. Robles, Mario // Nuclear Plant Journal;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p28
Reports the improvement and expansion of the uranium enrichment technology by the U.S. Enrichment Corporation. Performance of the centrifuge design; Enrichment level required for reactor design; Modernization of the domestic nuclear fuel infrastructure.
- Laser Focused. Schimmoller, Brian // Power Engineering;Sep2009, Vol. 113 Issue 9, p12
The article discusses the methods used in uranium enrichment, with particular focus on the development of laser enrichment technology. Uranium enrichment is part of the four-step process in producing nuclear fuel from uranium ore. According to the author, laser enrichment is more advantageous...
- UAE awards US$3bn of nuclear contracts. // TCE: The Chemical Engineer;Sep2012, Issue 855, p16
The article focuses on the Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation (ENEC) who has awarded various international companies with 3 billion U.S. dollars of nuclear fuel contracts to cover the purchase, conversion and enrichment of natural uranium.
- Separation anxiety. Boureston, Jack; Ferguson, Charles D. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Mar/Apr2005, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p14
Focuses on the development of laser isotope separation (LIS) to enrich uranium, an isotope used for the production of nuclear fuel or weapon. List of countries that conducted research on LIS techniques; Reasons behind the cancellation of the atomic vapor laser isotope separation program of the...
- Laser power. Hecht, Jeff // New Scientist;8/27/2011, Vol. 211 Issue 2827, p4
The article discusses a facility being built by the technology companies General Electric and Hitachi which would use lasers for uranium enrichment and the possibility that this technology could be used by rogue states to make fuel for atom-bombs.
- Nuclear Fuel Supply Proposals Aimed at Weakness in Nonproliferation Regime. Hundman, Eric // World Politics Review;12/21/2006, p1
The article reports on the proposal by the Russian government to build the first international uranium enrichment center (IUEC) at the city of Angarsk in Siberia, Russia. The center is on of the proposals to give states that currently forego indigenous enrichment capabilities incentives to...
- Russia builds fuel-bank for Middle East reactors. Land, Thomas // Middle East;Oct2007, Issue 382, p46
The article reports that Russia and Kazakhstan are developing a uranium enrichment center to provide nuclear fuel supply for the atomic power reactors of the Middle East countries. The fuel-bank is being created in the Siberian city of Angarsk near Kazakhstan, home to 15% of global uranium...
- SILEX Process Promises Third-Generation Uranium Enrichment Technology for U.S. Hylko, James M. // Power;Sep2013, Vol. 57 Issue 9, p58
The article reports that the company General Electric-Hitachi Global Laser Enrichment LLC (GLE) has received a construction and operating license (COL) from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) for its uranium enrichment plant. The plant will use the Separation of Isotopes by Laser...
- Pandora's Process. Majcher, Kristin // Defense Technology International;Nov2011, Vol. 5 Issue 10, p23
The article explains the Separation of Isotopes by Laser Excitation (Silex) and its impact on nuclear proliferation worldwide. General Electric tried the Silex method, which uses laser to enrich uranium and convert it into nuclear fuel at low costs, where mass enrichment will occur through...