- Redundancy the ACAS of Practice and. // British Baker;7/31/2009, Vol. 1 Issue 14, Special section p2
The article offers tips on how to determine a fair dismissal of redundant employees. It indicates that fair dismissal can be considered when a fair and transparent selection is being utilized, a possible alternative work is properly explored, and enough steps are taken to reduce or prevent...
- How to manage sickness absence and dismissal fairly. Ayre, Kirsty // People Management;2/11/2010, p31
The article discusses how employers can manage sickness and dismissal in a manner that is fair to employees. According to the author, failure to follow a fair and proper procedure in dismissing employees for absence may lead to costly disability discrimination and unfair dismissal claims. The...
- Dealers Should Cover Their Assets When Letting Staff Go. Steinberg, Jules // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;04/16/2001, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p12
Discusses the factors that dealers in the United States should consider when hiring or firing employees. Importance of having legally approved written work rules; Need to keep separate files for each employee; Ways to avoid lawsuits for wrongful discharge.
- Hiring and Firing. Carloni, Lou // Industrial Physicist;Jun/Jul2003, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p28
Discusses strategy to be used for recruiting and laying-off an employee in an industry. Need to involve human resources personnel in recruitment procedure; Requirement to focus on interrelated goals important to the company while making decision on recruitment; Suggestions for overcoming...
- The Current Status of the Doctrine of Employment-At-Will. Hames, David S. // Labor Law Journal;Jan88, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p19
The article attempts to enhance understanding of the status of the doctrine of employment-at-will in the United States. Ever since the industrial revolution gave rise to large organizations and superior-subordinate relationships, achieving the proper balance between employers' rights to manage...
- The Fine Art of Hiring and Firing. McCarter, Judy // National Public Accountant;Jul2003, p20
Presents an article about the art of hiring and firing employees. Importance of employees' performance appraisals; Value of a job description; Need to check references.
- Untitled. Berry, Mike // Personnel Today;3/31/2009, p13
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues including "HR Job Cuts to Be Made Across Whitehall Departments in Efficiency Drive," in the March 20, 2009 issue, "Unemployment Tops Two-Million Mark for First Time Since 1997," in the March 18, 2009 issue,...
- Recruitment slows as hospitality faces a tough year ahead. Sharkey, Gemma // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;1/8/2009, Vol. 198 Issue 4559, p7
The article reports that the hospitality recruitment market is facing a particularly difficult first quarter of 2009. A report by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development in Great Britain suggested that 2009 could be the worst for jobs in two decades, with as many as 600,000 jobs set...
- WINNERS & LOSERS IN THE FIGHT FOR JOBS. // Fortune;9/20/1993, Vol. 128 Issue 6, p24
Presents a table that lists five U.S. cities that have lost the most jobs and five cities that have gained the most jobs, since June 1990. Reasons for the job losses in various cities.