Implying a contract is not always of significant value
- Make sure it's in writing. Keenan, Denis // Accountancy;Jul2001, Vol. 128 Issue 1295, p86
This article discusses a Court of Appeal decision on the case Baird Textile Holdings Ltd. v Marks and Spencer PLC filed in Great Britain in 2001, which provides a timely reminder to those in business of the need to ensure that contracts are made in writing. The vast majority of contracts are...
- Marks & Spencer: A Case for Pro-European Tax Harmonization. Downs, Alexis; Gooch, Roxanne; Pitchford, Carl // CPA Journal;Jan2008, Vol. 78 Issue 1, p40
The article discusses the tax case Halsey (HM Inspector of Taxes) versus Marks & Spencer Plc. It provides a background information on the case. It asserts that the case provides an opportunity from which to explore European integration and international tax policies. It also explores the...
- Baird brings $86.8M suit against Marks & Spencer. Fallon, James // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;1/12/2000, Vol. 179 Issue 8, p19
Reports on apparel manufacturer William Baird's lawsuit against retailer Marks and Spencer. Case background; Lawsuit's allegations.
- Press cuttings and copyright. Keenan, Denis // Accountancy;Sep2000, Vol. 126 Issue 1285, p89
This article presents a case review based on Designs and Patents Act 1968. The Court of Appeal has ruled that Marks & Spencer PLC did not infringe the copyright in a newspaper's typographical arrangement when it photocopied an article for its internal press cuttings service. A property right...
- Firm acted 'in good faith'. // People Management;Mar2014, p17
The article discusses the British employment tribunal case Adegobola v. Marks & Spencer, which deals with a court's investigation into warnings by an employer to a worker that lead to the employee's dismissal.
- Marks & Spencer wilts over 'Interflora' trademark infringement loss. // In-House Perspective;Jul2011, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p4
The article reports on the trademark infringement issue encountered by Marks & Spencer Group PLC after using the Interflora brand name as a Google AdWord.
- THIS WEEK. // Building Design;9/30/2011, Issue 1983, p24
The article offers information related to architectures in Great Britain in September 2012 which include the memorial garden in the shape of butterfly designed by the Landscape Institute South East Branch, the Â£1 million fined to Marks & Spencer Group LLC for asbestos exposure, and the genius...
- ADVOCATE GENERAL GIVES OPINION ON M&S EXCEPTION. // Accountancy;Dec2014, Vol. 153 Issue 1456, p18
The article reports on the opinion published by the Advocate General concerning the European Commission's infringement proceedings against Great Britain regarding the lawfulness of the cross-border group relief provisions of the Finance Act 2006 following the decision in Marks & Spencer v. Halsey.
- M&S TAX LOSS WIN. Lagerberg, Francesca // Accountancy;Dec2011, Vol. 148 Issue 1420, p36
The article looks at the European Court of Justice;s decision to order HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) to allow the British company loss relief for its German and Belgian subsidiaries' tax losses.