Self-Rated Health in middle-aged and elderly Chinese: distribution, determinants and associations with cardio-metabolic risk factors
- Protocol for ADDITION-PRO: a longitudinal cohort study of the cardiovascular experience of individuals at high risk for diabetes recruited from Danish primary care. Johansen, Nanna B.; Hansen, Anne-Louise S.; Jensen, Troels M.; Philipsen, Annelotte; Rasmussen, Signe S.; Jørgensen, Marit E.; Simmons, Rebecca K.; Lauritzen, Torsten; Sandbæk, Annelli; Witte, Daniel R. // BMC Public Health;2012, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p1
Background: Screening programmes for type 2 diabetes inevitably find more individuals at high risk for diabetes than people with undiagnosed prevalent disease. While well established guidelines for the treatment of diabetes exist, less is known about treatment or prevention strategies for...
- Fatter Bellies Signal Lower Cardiovascular Fitness. Shrier, Ian // Physician & Sportsmedicine;Jul2004, Vol. 32 Issue 7, p9
The article focuses on a research study that states that fatter bellies signal lower cardiovascular fitness. Waist circumference is positively associated with increased risk of disorders such as type 2 diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease and one Canadian study demonstrated that high...
- Metabolic syndrome in Russian adults: associated factors and mortality from cardiovascular diseases and all causes. Sidorenkov, Oleg; Nilssen, Odd; Grjibovski, Andrej M. // BMC Public Health;2010, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p582
Background: Metabolic syndrome (MetS) is a cluster of four major obesity-related risk factors for cardiovascular disease (CVD). Russia has one of the highest CVD mortality in the world, but its association with MetS remains unknown. Also little is known about factors associated with MetS and its...
- Cardiovascular sympathetic functional status of controlled type II diabetes mellitus. Patil, P. P.; Tambe, A. S. // Al Ameen Journal of Medical Sciences;Jan-Mar2013, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p96
Objective: The blood pressure responses to standing and sustained handgrip were studied in cases and controls. Background: The cardiovascular sympathetic functional status can be assessed by using simple tests; effective for diagnosis of early cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction. Material and...
- Metodologia exerciÅ£iului fizic la vÃ¢rstnici. Butariu, Elena Gheorghina; Noveanu, Lavinia; Andor, Minodora; Butariu, Stelian; Mihalaş, Georgeta // Palestrica of the Third Millennium Civilization & Sport;Jun2009, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p158
Aging drives several morphologic and functional changes in the organism, with important consequences on health state and quality of life. In the elderly (65-75 years old), practicing physical exercise assures an increase of the functional capacity, prevents osteoporosis, cardiovascular diseases,...
- Living healthier for longer: Comparative effects of three heart-healthy behaviors on life expectancy with and without cardiovascular disease. Nusselder, Wilma J.; Franco, Oscar H.; Peeters, Anna; Mackenbach, Johan P. // BMC Public Health;2009, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p487
Background: Non-smoking, having a normal weight and increased levels of physical activity are perhaps the three key factors for preventing cardiovascular disease (CVD). However, the relative effects of these factors on healthy longevity have not been well described. We aimed to calculate and...
- Functional Fitness Normative Scores for Community-Residing Older Adults, Ages 60-94. Rikli, Roberta E.; Jones, C. Jessie // Journal of Aging & Physical Activity;Apr1999, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p162
Describes a nationwide study conducted to develop normative performance data for community-residing older adults. Assessment of body mass index; Evaluations on the physical performance of older adults; Analysis on test results.
- Section 2. // Journal of Aging & Physical Activity;May2001 Supplement, Vol. 9, pS13
Discusses the issue of physical activity among older adults and the aging population in the U.S. Identification of areas older people may overcome obstacles; Suggestions of ways to address barriers and strategies to increase physical activity; Intervention and examples of specific activities.
- Aces & Pains. Brody, Jane // Tennis;May2000, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p55
Presents several physical fitness, vitamin supplements, and exercise tips for elders.