Tanzania national survey on iodine deficiency: impact after twelve years of salt iodation
- Iodine deficiency in Turkey. Yordam, N.; Özön, A.; Alikaşifoglu, A.; Özgen, A.; Ceren, N.; Zafer, Y.; Şimşek, E. // European Journal of Pediatrics;1999, Vol. 158 Issue 6, p501
Abstract Turkey is an iodine deficiency area. The overall goitre prevalence is thought to be 30%, and most epidemiological studies give figures compatible with mild to moderate iodine deficiency. However, it is suspected that there are regions where iodine deficiency might be more severe than...
- Goiter in Ancient Greek art. Laios, Konstantinos; Tsoucalas, Gregory; Karamanou, Marianna; Androutsos, George // Indian Journal of Endocrinology & Metabolism;Jan/Feb2015, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p190
A letter to the editor is presented about the representation of goiter in Ancient Greek art.
- Limited Access to Iodized Salt among the Poor and Disadvantaged in North 24 Parganas District of West Bengal, India. // Journal of Health, Population & Nutrition;Aug2010, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p369
No abstract available.
- Control of iodine-deficiency disorders following universal salt iodization in Shenzhen, China, 1997-2011. Wei Huang; Chaoqiong Peng; Haixiong Huang; Jinzhou Zhang; Jianping Liu; Lisha Mao; Ruorong Luo; Yunjun Xiao // Food & Nutrition Bulletin;Sep2013, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p331
Background. Since universal salt iodization (USI) was implemented in Shenzhen, China, in 1996, evaluation of the time trend of USI to indicate the control of iodinedeficiency disorders has not been performed. Objective. To assess the time trend of median urinary iodine and total goiter rates...
- For debate: Drifting continents and endemic goitre in northern Pakistan. Stewart, Alex G. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);6/9/90, Vol. 300 Issue 6738, p1507
Examines the iodine deficiency disorders in Pakistan. Signs and symptoms of a disease; Development of goiter caused by iodine ion deficiency; Prevalence and measures of the condition.
- Prevalence of Goiter in the Children of 6-12 years in Porbandar district, Gujarat, India. Kotecha, Ilesh; Bhalani, Kailesh; Singh, M. P. // National Journal of Integrated Research in Medicine;2012, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p115
Research Question: What is the situation of Iodine Deficiency Disorders (IDD) and salt consumption in Porbandar district? Objectives: To assess the magnitude of IDD in Porbandar district and also assess the salt consumption patterns in the region. Design: Cross Sectional Study. Setting: Primary...
- Management of Retrosternal Goitre with Superior Vena Cava Obstruction. Tsang, Flora H.F.; Wan, Innes Y.P.; Lee, T.W.; Ng, S.K.; Yim, Anthony P.C. // Heart, Lung & Circulation;Aug2007, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p312
Acute respiratory and cardiovascular decompensation secondary to retrosternal goitre is uncommon but life threatening. We report our experience of successful surgical management of a patient who presented acute enlargement of the mediastinal component of retrosternal goitre, which resulted in...
- Iodine deficiency disorders in the Maldives: A public health problem. Cs Pandav; M Rasheed; I Solih; M Saeed; M Shaheed; A Awal; K Anand; R Shreshta; Pandav, Cs // Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition;Mar1999, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p9
Because the Maldives is a country of islands it has been assumed, until now, that iodine deficiency disorders (IDD) are not a public health problem. However, no systematic scientific survey has been carried out to assess the status of IDD in the Maldives. This study represents the first IDD...
- National Trends in Iodine Nutrition: Is Everyone Getting Enough. Elizabeth N. Pearce // Thyroid;Sep2007, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p823
Iodine deficiency is an important public health problem worldwide. Until the 1920s, endemic iodine deficiency disorders were prevalent in the Great Lakes, Appalachian, and Northwestern regions of the United States. Iodized salt was responsible for eliminating endemic goiter in the United States...