Within Our Gates: A New Perspective on Germans in Glasgow during the First World War
- An Unusual Young Man. Brooke, Rupert // New Statesman;11/29/99, Vol. 128 Issue 4464, p40
Presents a reflections done in 1914 about the outbreak of World War I. Impact of the declaration of war to British individuals; Attitude towards Germany; Effect of the war to personal views.
- FROM THE EDITOR. Lay, Paul // History Today;Aug2014, Vol. 64 Issue 8, p2
The article discusses global social conditions before and after World War I, focusing on the roles of Indians and Africans in the British Army, as well as the military service of American Private Nicholas Neil Lay.
- Political Asylums. Kelly, Brendan // History Today;Feb2016, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p66
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "The Racket and the Fear," by Stuart M. Archer in the January 2016 issue.
- Citizenship versus Ethnicity: The Role of Institutions in Shaping Identity Choice. Penn, Elizabeth Maggie // Journal of Politics;Oct2008, Vol. 70 Issue 4, p956
This paper examines the role that political institutions play in inducing or subduing ethnic identification. I provide a formal model of ethnic identification as a function of institutional design and social context that focuses on one question: what kinds of institutions will induce individuals...
- Terror and grace in 1914. OLASKY, MARVIN // World (0888157X);12/27/2014, Vol. 29 Issue 26, p72
The article discusses aspects of the history of Christmas in Europe during the World War I in August 1914 in several countries including German, French and Russia. According to British historian Max Hastings, armies had been accustomed to fight battles killing and being killed throughout the...
- What Liberty in America Looked Like During World War 1. Richman, Sheldon // Hit & Run;8/1/2014, p160
No abstract available.
- Anomie as powerlessness: Sorting ethnic group prestige, class, and gender. Sev'er, Aysan; Isajiw, Wsevolod W. // Canadian Ethnic Studies;1993, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p84
Studies the causal links between ethnic group status, class, gender and anomie. Relationship between multiple status memberships and subjective feelings of anomie; Conceptual framework; Related literature; Procedure and findings.
- Growing up poor. // NEA Today;Sep92, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p11
Reports on the likeliness of growing up poor for different racial groups. Report from the Children's Defense Fund (CDF); Blacks, Native Americans, Asians, and white children; More.
- Broadening the cast of American dreamers. Dolliver, Mark // Adweek New England Edition;10/27/97, Vol. 34 Issue 43, p18
Looks at a survey conducted jointly by Graham Gregory Bozell, Market Segment Research and DemoGraph Corp. which examined trends concerning ethnic groups in the United States. Increased rate of home ownership by ethnic Americans; Growing number of ethnic Americans receiving post-secondary degrees.