GUIDE TO STORING AND USING: HERBS AND SPICES
- No Matter How You Spice It. Chun, Kay // Real Simple;Sep2002, Vol. 3 Issue 7, p125
The article presents ways to organize, store and access all the kitchen flavors one would ever need. It helps in creating three herb and spice kits based on the lidded boxes Indian cooks traditionally use to store seasonings. Each kit corresponds to a different cooking style. The first covers...
- Flavors of AFRICA. Jarman, Abbie // Chef Educator Today;Spring2007, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p18
The article offers information on various herbs and spices and seasoning blends found in Africa. They included Beso Bela, an African blue basil which is a vital ingredient for Eritrean cuisine; Koseret, a lemon bush; Penja pepper and Tosign, an African oregano. There are also seasoning blends...
- Infusion Cooking. Ritchie, Tori // Bon Appetit;Feb2003, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p46
Focuses on the importance of herbs and spices in making various cuisines. Improvement of the aroma and flavor of the menu; Use of a bouquet garni in provincial fish stew cuisine; Development of the taste.
- how to...feel better with five spice blends. Duncan, Debbie // Good Medicine (Australian Consolidated Press);Nov2004, p167
Provides information on several cooking spice mixtures. Dukka from Egypt; Chinese five-spice powder from China; Shichimi togarashi from Japan.
- Flavors of the world. // Better Homes & Gardens;Mar1994, Vol. 72 Issue 3, p162
Presents the herbs and spices used by different countries to give flavor to their cookings. Allspice; Basil; Cardamom; Chili powder; Cinnamon; Cilantro; Cloves; Coriander; Cumin; Dill; Fennerl seed; Garam masala; Gingerroot; Lemongrass; Paprika; Rosemary; Savory; Thyme; Turmeric.
- Get sage about seasonings. Kirchner, Bharti // Vegetarian Times;Aug97, Issue 240, p72
Focuses on herbs and spices and their contribution to meals. Definition of herbs and spices; One of the best ways to experience the difference fresh herbs make in cooking; How the herb bay is used as an ingredients in soups; Facts about spice caraway which can enliven cabbage; Information about...
- The Art of Herbs. Russin, Ted // Prepared Foods;Jan2013, Vol. 182 Issue 1, p88
The article discusses different ways of extracting or enhancing the flavor of herbs and spices during food preparation.
- Herbs and Spices : Spice 'n' lovely. // Food Service;Sep2008, Vol. 6 Issue 8, p40
The article offers information on herbs and spices. Sweet spices can be used to enhance flavour instead of sugar. These include allspice, anise, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, mace and nutmeg. Herbs have long been valued for their medicinal qualities and have only in the past few hundred...
- SPICE ISLAND. // Indianapolis Monthly;Apr2004, Vol. 27 Issue 9, p232
Seasoned chefs and Nigella-wannabes have a new place to indulge their culinary creativity, Penzeys Spices, a Wisconsin-based spice broker stocked with more than 250 seasonings and herbs. Hard-to-find wares include Chinese star anise, used to flavor teas, liqueurs and baked goods, and peppery...