TAKE-OUT IN SCHOOLS: Tactics for participation
- Bright ideas to improve your business. Schuster, Karolyn // Food Management;Mar1999, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p36
Presents six proven strategies school food service directors (FSDs) can use to maximize use of their resources, develop their employees and streamline their organizations. Includes building relationships between foodservice staff and students; Encouraging employees' professional involvement...
- Runs Downtown Restaurant, Too: Knoxville, TN, Schools Feed Community Groups. Bond, Marian // FoodService Director;05/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p50
Focuses on the food service management at the Knox County School District in Tennessee. How the district operates; Evening meals provided by the district; How the district runs a downtown restaurant; Menus offered in the restaurant.
- What to Know: ACAP mtg. explores campus cash-ops. // FoodService Director;01/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p14
Offers pieces of advice on designing or remodeling a campus foodservice facility. Primary considerations; Steps involved in developing the operation; Significance of customer relations to the success of the business; How to ensure faster services.
- `The key is to make gradual recipe changes'. Hirschfield, Jeff // FoodService Director;2/15/97 Supplement, Vol. 10, p9s
Reports on the application of gradual changes approach in changing recipes toward healthier foods for school food services in the United States. Enhancement of student-acceptance; Changes not recognized by students; Proposals for changing recipes; Promotion of vegetables by prepackaging for...
- Leading School FS into the Future. Watkins, Carolyn // Food Management;Jun2001, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p26
Reports on how Donna Wittrock, executive director of food and nutrition services for the Denver Public Schools in Colorado, improved the school system's food service. Restructuring of the school's food service department; Improvements in school food offerings; Major accomplishments.
- Indispensable menu item. Alexis, Jennifer // FoodService Director;2/15/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p52
Discusses the indispensability of beef in the U.S. school foodservice sector despite mad cow concerns. Favorite food products of children with beef; Appeal of tacos to schoolchildren; Persistence of beef-filled casseroles on menus.
- New policy guidelines issued: Summer feeding waivers set. // FoodService Director;06/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p86
Highlights the meeting between Virginia farmers, food service directors, state education and agriculture officials to create new relationships and opportunities for use of locally grown produce in school meals. Formation of farmers' cooperatives to provide produce needed by schools; Number of...
- UNANNOUNCED CHECK-UPS: Florida school district audits cafeterias. // FoodService Director;03/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p16
Reports on the implementation of a Five Star Quality and Performance Review by the Brevard County School District in Florida its school cafeterias. Explanation from Dawn Houser, food service director of the district; Scope of the review; What made the program successful; Benefits of the program.
- AT U. OF OREGON: Res. hall converts to grab-and-go. // FoodService Director;03/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p16
Reports that a former full-service residence dining hall at the University of Oregon in Eugene has been converted into a grab-and-go operation. Explanation from Fred Babcock, food service director at the university; Details on the operation called Grab and Go; Benefits gained by the university...