Texas Senate Approves Charter School Legislation
- A 11th Hour, N.Y. Approves `Strong' New Charter Law. Hendrie, Caroline // Education Week;01/13/99, Vol. 18 Issue 18, p16
Reports that New York City has approved a law authorizing charter schools to operate in the city. Provisions of the law; Issues on political bartering.
- Texas Legislature Places Restrictions on Charter Schools. Keller, Bess // Education Week;06/06/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 39, p14
Reports on the Texas legislature's approval of a compromise bill that tightens control over charter schools. Cap imposed on the number of charter schools granted to higher education institutions; Scandals and failures involving charter schools which prompted action from the legislature.
- Indiana Legislature Passes Charter School Law. Sandham, Jessica L. // Education Week;04/25/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 32, p20
Reports on the Indiana Legislature's passage of a bill authorizing the creation of charter schools in the state. Entities that have the authority to sponsor charter schools; Reinstatement of certain bargaining rights for teachers which proved crucial to the passage of the measure; Key provisions.
- States Strengthening Charter Laws, Report Says. // District Administration;Mar2013, Vol. 49 Issue 3, p20
The article provides information on a study which examined the efforts of states to strengthen their charter laws in the U.S.
- Michigan Strikes Deal On Charter Schools. Keller, Bess // Education Week;9/24/2003, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p24
Michigan's governor Jennifer M. Granholm and leaders of legislature have reached a long-sought agreement that could add as many as 150 charter schools in the state over the next decade. The deal, forged last week by the Democratic governor and the Republican heads of the House and the U.S....
- Critical Mass. Christie, Kathy // Phi Delta Kappan;Mar2005, Vol. 86 Issue 7, p485
Focuses on education policy in the United States. Examples of policy that has been adopted by several states; Opinions on narrow points of view in state policy; Significance of charter school laws; Results of research conducted by Todd Ziebarth, a policy analyst with Augenblick, Palaich, and...
- STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION: NOTICE OF PROPOSED AMENDMENTS. // Illinois Register;6/1/2012, Vol. 36 Issue 22, p8063
The article presents Notice of Proposed Amendments from the State Board of Education in Illinois related to the Charter Schools Law. It states that the law was amended to create the State Charter School Commission to assume some of the responsibilities of the State Board of Education relative to...
- Lawmakers Vote To Raise Funding for Federal Aid. Schnaiberg, Lynn // Education Week;10/21/98, Vol. 18 Issue 8, p25
Reports that the Charter Schools Expansion Act of 1998, a program that funnels federal aid to charter schools, was approved by the House of Representatives of the United States on October 10, 1998. Status of the bill in the Senate; Provisions of the bill; Changes made from the HR 2616 bill.
- Romer Signs Standards, Charter-Schools Bill in Colorado. Walsh, Mark // Education Week;6/16/1993, Vol. 12 Issue 38, p18
The article reports that Governor Roy Romer of Colorado has signed into law bills which would create new standards and assessments system and would allow for the establishment of charter schools in the state. The law requires the state and school district to establish guidelines in curriculum...