Highland Park Mayor Wants Michigan's Help with Finances
- Outgoing Gov. Engler Seeks Late Fix For Michigan's $500 Million Deficit. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;11/26/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31521, p35
Reports that outgoing Michigan Governor John Engler is expected to issue executive orders as of December 2002 in an attempt to balance the fiscal 2002 budget for the state after estimates showed that the state's May revenue forecast for the year was overstated by several million dollars. ...
- Michigan laws saved from governor's ax. // International Wildlife;May92, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p27
Reports that a Michigan state judge has blocked Governor John Engler from abolishing Michigan's environmental laws and commissions. The judge ruled that Engler's executive orders were unconstitutional.
- The Michigan experiment. Overby, Peter // Common Cause Magazine;Spring94, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p11
Presents one of a series of articles on the shape of things to come. Examines how Gov. John Engler of Michigan has parlayed a thin victory into an unprecedented shakeout of stage government, its budget and mission. The basis of his work is the theory that everything has a price tag and...
- Just good friends, really. P.O. // Common Cause Magazine;Spring94, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p12
Presents one in a series of articles on the shape of things to come. Examines the relationship between Michigan Gov. John Engler and the Mackinac Center. According to President Lawrence Reed, Engler was only the member of a board who gave Mackinac money in the very early stages. The real...
- Engler pitches new plan for Detroit school takeovers. Zehr, Mary Ann // Education Week;09/16/98, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p16
Comments on plans in relation to school takeovers in Detroit, Michigan, discussing `Freedom Schools,' a proposal by Governor John Engler that parents and teachers be given the option of taking over schools which are not progressive. Objective of Engler's proposal; Criticism of the proposal by...
- Engler plays casino decision close to the vest. // Crain's Detroit Business;6/26/95, Vol. 11 Issue 26, p27
Reports on the issue concerning casinos and other forms of gambling in Michigan. Speculations on Governor John Engler's decision; Provisions of the federal Indian gambling law; Plan of Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer to ask legislators to legalize casino gambling.
- Acting on a renaissance. // Crain's Detroit Business;2/5/96, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p22
Reports on the deliberations at the Michigan House of Governor John Engler's proposal to create tax-free renaissance zones in selected urban and rural areas in Michigan.
- To the media, he was dear John. // Crain's Detroit Business;8/19/96, Vol. 12 Issue 34, p30
Focuses on Michigan Governor John Engler's inclusion in `Advertising Age' magazine's SPINdex survey. Determining what stories, issues and people are getting the most attention.
- Engler ponders another term. // Crain's Detroit Business;10/21/96, Vol. 12 Issue 43, p50
Reports that Governor John Engler told the Ypsilanti Area Chamber of Commerce that he was considering rerunning for the position of governor. Background information on Engler.