Leadership and Culture: Examining the Relationship between Cultural Background and Leadership Perceptions
- DIVERSITY WORKS HERE. Linehan, Deb // Canadian Diversity / Canadian Diversitï¿½;Winter2012, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p57
Representation of visible minorities in leadership roles goes beyond the paradigm of employment equity to that of ethno-cultural identity within an organizational context. Intercultural leadership competence at both the leader and organizational level is a key to contemporary leadership.
- Preconvention conferences will open 1998 meeting. // Spectra;Aug1998, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p14
This article provides information on several congresses and conventions on November 20, 1998 to be held in New York Hilton and Towers in New York City. The American Association for Rhetoric of Science and Technology is concerned with all areas of science and technology in which rhetorical...
- Black Versus White Leaders: A Comparative Review of the Literature. Bartol, Kathryn M.; Evans, Charles L.; Stith, Melvin T. // Academy of Management Review;Apr1978, Vol. 3 Issue 2, p293
Research comparing black and white leaders is reviewed, focusing on three major areas of importance in leadership settings: (a) leader behavior, (b) leader potential and job performance, and (c) job attitudes and job satisfaction. Ethnic factors affect all three areas, although black and white...
- Cultural diversity and management/leadership models. Duchatelet, Martine // American Business Review;Jun98, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p96
Proposes a model of optimization to show that a certain percentage of cultural diversity would cause actual harm to social welfare as opposed to a flexible fan of accepted management/leadership models. Hofstede's model of cultural diversity; Implication of the juxtaposition between Hofstede's...
- Diversity Leadership. Mendez-Russell, Armida // Executive Excellence;Dec2001, Vol. 18 Issue 12, p16
Discusses the eight traits of diversity leadership. Self-awareness; Empathy; Broad perspective; Communication; Compassion; Commitment; Conscious responsibility; Tangible engagement.
- Developing leaders rather than managers for the global marketplace. Harvey, Michael G. // Human Resource Management Review;Winter96, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p279
Attempts to explain complex issues associated with multicultural leadership in the workplace and proposes a diagnostic leadership matrix based upon internal and external cultural constraints. Demands of management tasks from business leaders; Critical dimensions of international leadership;...
- Diversity and Effective Leadership in Multicultural Workplaces. Parvis, Leo // Journal of Environmental Health;Mar2003, Vol. 65 Issue 7, p37
Discusses diversity and effective leadership in multicultural workplaces. Definition of diversity and culture; Approaches for managing diversity in workplaces; Significance of workplace management in the era of increasing international tensions and need for information and awareness.
- STRATEGIC APPLICATION OF STORYTELLING IN ORGANIZATIONS: Toward Effective Communication in a Diverse World. Barker, Randolph; Gower, Kim // Journal of Business Communication;Jul2010, Vol. 47 Issue 3, p295
Internal and external workplace diversity and the technology-induced time constraints of multinational competition make the challenge of improving organizational communication bigger than ever. Narrative paradigm or the "storytelling" theory has been proffered as an effective cross-cultural...
- MULTICULTURAL ORGANIZATIONAL CONSULTATION: A SOCIAL JUSTICE PERSPECTIVE. Derald Wing Sue // Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice & Research;Jun2008, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p157
Multicultural organizational consultation (MOC) possesses a strong social justice component because it is directed toward removing barriers to equal access and opportunity in organizations. As such, it often challenges the power and privilege of organizational policies and practices that oppress...