'New' Asian on the Block
- Barbecue and Pickles. Anstendig, Michael // Nation's Restaurant News;9/27/2004 Supplement, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p24
Explores the popularity of Korean cuisine in the United States. Influence of Chinese and Mongolian cuisines on Korean food; Cuisine's quintessential ingredients; Essential sauce; Most popular manifestation of kimchi; Food preparation; Special treat in Korean cooking.
- Adapting to American tastes. Anstendig, Michael // Nation's Restaurant News;9/27/2004 Supplement, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p28
Focuses on United States restaurants' offering of Korean-inspired appetizers and main courses on their menus. Efforts of American chefs to introduce different food culture to their customers; Korean-style entrees offered by the Bamboo Club Asian Bistro; Adjustments to the spicing; Polarizing...
- RECIPES. // FoodService Director;4/15/2011, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p74
The article presents several recipes for barbecue offered by U.S. foodservice operators including Brazilian-Style Toasted Farofa at NBC Universal in New York City, Korean Short Ribs at Saint Joseph's College of Maine, and Vietnamese Barbecue Sub at Recipedia.
- Korean flavors spice up menus. GLAZER, FERN // Nation's Restaurant News;3/2/2015, Vol. 49 Issue 3, p42
The article discusses how Korean flavors are improving the menus being offered by restaurants and foodservice providers in the U.S. Topics covered include how chefs incorporate kimchi and gochujang into pasta, burgers and soups. Also mentioned are the Korean flavors being explored at the...
- "Bland Is Gone.". // FoodService Director;5/15/2010, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p46
The author shares how they incorporated Asian dishes in the food service operations of Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. A survey has revealed that undergraduate students want to see Korean dishes on the menus. The food service operations decided to put up a Korean barbecue...
- Accent on Cuisine: Saucy Korean. HAYDEN, KATHY // Progressive Grocer;Mar2016, Vol. 95 Issue 3, Special section p24
The article discusses trends in the U.S. food sector as of March 2016, particularly the growing popularity of Korean burgers and wraps. According to Charlie Baggs Culinary Innovations chief executive chef Charlie Baggs, traditional Korean cuisine is increasingly included in American menus. Among...
- Exotic No More. // Food Management;Oct2004, Vol. 39 Issue 11, p64
Reports on the increase of the variety of ingredients in the pantry as the demand for authentic Asian menu increases. List of top Asian items on noncommercial menu; Most common items in the authentic Asian cooking and prepared sauces categories; List of unusual ingredients that are becoming...
- Chains use Asian flavors to satisfy customers' taste for adventure. Kruse, Nancy // Nation's Restaurant News;7/5/2004, Vol. 38 Issue 27, p28
Reports on the increasing number of United States restaurants serving Asian cuisine. Characteristics of Asian cookery; Factors that contributed to the emergence of the trend in the food service business; Restaurants that specialize in Asian cuisine.
- Feed Your Inner Seoul. // Just Out;5/2/2008, Vol. 25 Issue 13, p35
A review is offered for several restaurants that offer Asian cuisine in Portland, Oregon including BeWon at 1203 Northwest 23rd Avenue, Toji Korean House Grill at S.E. Hawthorne Boulevard, and Sorabol in 7901 S.E. Powell Boulevard.