Creations through Collaboration
- A fruity idea. // Food Management;Jun99, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p16
Reports on the success of boxed fruit lunches served at the cafeteria of Cox Elementary School in Xenia, Ohio. Contents of the boxed fruit lunch; Background on the concept of serving fruit lunches; Appreciation from parents of vegetarian children; Drawbacks; Savings. INSET: Fruit dip (recipe)..
- Brain Foods. Schilling, Becky // FoodService Director;6/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p34
The article reports that Tulsa Public Schools, Child Nutrition Services in Oklahoma has teamed up with the district's brain-based learning teacher to offer foods during school testing weeks that, it is hoped, would increase students' memory and attention, enhance learning and, ultimately,...
- A Pirate's Booty. Schilling, Becky // FoodService Director;9/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p52
The article looks at how incorporating redesign theme in menu boards helped the cafeterias in the Oxford Public Schools in Massachusetts. Angela Scolaro, director of foodservices, hired image consulting firm The Artworks Shop to help in modifying the school foodservice design. Two major changes...
- on the job withâ€¦Pnina Peled. // FoodService Director;8/15/2011, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p28
The article provides insights on the regular work day for Pnina Peled, executive chef at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. She starts her work day checking emails for about an hour and then making a list of all the patients that she needs to see. She consults with registered...
- PEOPLE/STEAL THIS IDEA. // FoodService Director;12/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p14
The article offers information on several food service ideas used by several foodservice directors in the U.S. Diane Nicholls served hot dogs for lunch to celebrate the first Red Sox home game of the season and advertise the promotion on the menu, eventually getting the kids involved. To get...
- Kellogg Co. offers $100K in grants to help fight childhood obesity problem. // Nation's Restaurant News;5/21/2007, Vol. 41 Issue 21, p156
The article reports that Battle Creek, Michigan-based food retailer Kellogg Co. has launched the NuCrew program which offers grants to schools with plans to combat obesity in children. The grants will help school foodservice departments shift from food-based menu planning to Nutrient Standard...
- BEST NEW EUROPEAN RESTAURANTS 2005. von Brehzen, Anya // Travel & Leisure;Dec2005, Vol. 35 Issue 12, p173
Features the best new European restaurants for 2005. Introduction of Asiana, a restaurant in Madrid owned by chef Jaime Renedo; Menu design of Maze in London; Presentation of Die Quadriga, located in the boutique hotel Brandenburger Hof in Berlin.
- R&D chefs test their culinary mettle in iron chef competition. Parseghian, Pamela // Nation's Restaurant News;10/17/2005, Vol. 39 Issue 42, p60
Reports on the competition of corporate chefs at a market-basket-style cook-off design during the fourth annual Culinary R&D conference in Kissimmee, Florida. Goal of the competition; Design menu and cuisine of each team; Presentation and awarding of winners.
- MOVEABLE FEASTS. Lauterbach, Christiane // Atlanta;Sep2002, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p90
Presents several carry-home cuisines in Georgia. Availability of sandwiches and breads at EatZi's; Details on the menu design of Mimi's In A Minute; Variety of pastries and cakes baked at Star Provisions.