NEWS IN BRIEF
- Employment to rise be a quarter of a million in 2004. // Management Services;Feb2004, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p3
This article reports on the expected increase in employment levels in 2004 based on the review conducted by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). The CIPD argues that this presents a huge dilemma to British organisations who are already experiencing severe recruitment...
- Comment. EHRENBERG, RONALD G. // Journal of Labor Research;Fall80, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p408
This article comments on an article about the theory of human capital and the impact of unions on an individual worker's terms and conditions of employment. The author of the article spent almost half of the article discussing ways to value the various nonwage compensation items, including...
- HUMAN CAPITAL AND LABOR MARKET EMPLOYMENT: ERRATA AND EXTENSION. Bloch, Farrell E.; Smith, Sharon P. // Journal of Human Resources;Spring79, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p267
This article presents the corrected estimates on the effect of unit increases in individual human capital investment on employment probabilities. In the original paper, the authors estimated for each race-sex group a separate equation for the probability that an individual was employed at the...
- The Economics of the Decision To Join a Union. LENTZ, BERNARD F. // Journal of Labor Research;Fall80, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p377
This article attempts to bring about a synthesis of the theory of human capital and the disparate and largely empirical literature on the impact of unions on an individual worker's terms and conditions of employment. This is done by modeling the decision of a worker to join a unionized firm or...
- Human Resources, Personnel, and Organizational Behavior. // Industrial & Labor Relations Review;Apr95, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p604
This section presents a list of ongoing research related to human resources, personnel and organizational behavior. The articles included are "An Ethical Analysis of Information Control Organization," by Ronald Dulek, "The Union Impact on Job Redesign," by Clyde Scott and Harold Jones, "Employee...
- Green jobs could just be the answer. Cartwright, John // Canadian Dimension;Mar/Apr99, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p18
Provides an overview on `green jobs strategy' proposed by Canadian labor unions as a way to adapt to globalization. Linking jobs and the environment; Political demand for governments to fund an extensive jobs program; Rebuilding of the economy based on sustainability.
- Kingston round-up. // People Management;1/12/1995, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p55
Reports several issues pertaining to trade unions, employee skills and other employment issues in United Kingdom. Expectations from a study on enterprise without unions; Transferable personal skills; Aim of ballots and trade union laws.
- Blue-collar jobs preserved in new contract with Philadelphia district. // American School & University Exclusive Insight;7/24/2012, p2
The article reports that in July 2012, the Philadelphia School Reform Commission in Pennsylvania has reached a new agreement with its blue-collar union that will preserve the jobs of the union's 2,700 members for the next four years.
- Unions fear ILAs will fail. // People Management;6/22/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 13, p11
Reports on the possible failure of the individual learning accounts in Great Britain. Claims of trade unions and service providers on the government initiative; Importance of the partnership between trade unions and employers; Purpose of the learning accounts.