LAW NEWS IN BRIEF
- Mechanic unfairly dismissed on the spot contrary to Acas code. // Employers Law;Sep2010, p6
The article discusses the court case Vickery v. Kars of Tiverton Ltd. wherein the British employment tribunal increased the amount of compensation awarded to an unfairly dismissed employee due to the employer's failure to comply with the Acas code of practice.
- Kings Castle Church v Mr Okukusie. Mather, Carly; Newman, Lydia; Ross-Sercombe, Amy; Steadman, Amanda // Employers Law;Nov2012, p9
The article discusses the court case Kings Castle Church v Mr. Okukusie wherein the British Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT) held that an employee who had been dismissed unfairly is not entitled to compensation for loss of earnings during any period of time when he was not permitted to work in...
- NLRB: Pre-emptive firing to prevent employees from discussing pay and benefits is illegal. // HR Specialist: Compensation & Benefits;Apr2011, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p8
The article discusses a court case wherein the plaintiff sued her employer for firing her after she complained to her boss regarding perceived wage disparity.
- Will there be a flood of new claims for unfair dismissal? Goodwyn, Edward // People Management;9/7/1995, Vol. 1 Issue 18, p53
Assesses the implications of the Court of Appeal's ruling against the two-year qualification period in Great Britain. Information about the unfair dismissal case of women against the government for compensation; Argument of the secretary of state regarding Unfair Dismissal Order 1985; Results of...
- Avoiding Wrongful Termination Suits. // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;10/13/2003, Vol. 107 Issue 41, p38
Provides steps in avoiding employment-related lawsuits by employers for termination of employees in the U.S. Approach in reducing employer exposure to wrongful termination suit; Description of employment; Importance of training managers and supervisors on the doctrines of employment.
- Mrs M Konczak v BAE Systems (Operations) Ltd. // Employers Law;Jun2012, p8
The article discusses a court case wherein the plaintiff, who waived the offer of her employer to have the privilege of without prejudice settlement, filed a lawsuit for unfair dismissal, sex discrimination, and disability discrimination for the loss of her earnings claim.
- Ajayi and another v Aitch Care Homes. // Employers Law;Jun2012, p9
The article discusses a court case wherein two care-home night-support employees were unfairly dismissed for being asleep while on duty.
- United States v Nolan. // Employers Law;Jun2012, p9
The article describes a court case wherein the plaintiff filed a lawsuit for failure of his employer to start the collective consultation regarding the plan to execute collective redundancies in the U.S.
- What would you have done? // Works Management;Sep2001, Vol. 54 Issue 9, p56
Presents answers to questions on the article 'Cheque mate' concerning employee dismissal. Conditions for employee dismissal; Views on the case of dismissed employee Adam Washer; Success in the application of unfair dismissal by Washer; Lessons of the case for employers.