NEWS FROM THE WEB
- Denham asked to apologise for 'boomerang bosses' slur. Williams, David // Public Finance;3/19/2010, p12
The article reports on the call for John Denham, the Communities Secretary, to make an apology due to the inability of other top executives to secure a top level job position after receiving the severance pay in Great Britain.
- Weathering the Storm: Employment Issues in an Economic Downturn. // Venulex Legal Summaries;2008 Q4, Special section p1
The article emphasizes the importance for employers in the U.S. to review their current practices and their cost-cutting options to avoid employment litigation. It provides an overview of the cost-cutting options available to employers in order to cope with the current economic downturn and...
- Controlling the Cost of Severance. May, Douglas H.; Bradenburger, Tom // Financial Executive;Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p20
The article discusses how businesses can control the cost of severance benefits. Survey data indicate about 80% of firms have severance pay policies, and that non-executive workers average one week of severance pay for each year of service. A company can pay severance in one lump sum or over...
- Ambiguity doesn't work. Greenwald, Judy // Business Insurance;11/26/2001, Vol. 35 Issue 48, p1
Reports the importance of clear language in employers benefit and severance plans in Chicago, Illinois. Provision of retirement benefits and severance pay for employee layoffs; Basis in providing the benefits; Impact of the rule on employers.
- This dangerous redundancy game. Bebo, David // Personnel Today;3/5/2002, p20
Focuses on the danger of voluntary payment offered by companies to a dismissed employees. Concept of voluntary redundancy; Problems with voluntary redundancy; Consequences of voluntary redundancy.
- What to do if you get FIRED. Loeb, Marshall; McGowan, Joe // Fortune;1/15/1996, Vol. 133 Issue 1, p77
Offers advice to employees on what to do if they are fired. Why someone should not quit when notified of being fired; Ways to improve a severance package.
- Ending the unproductive employment relationship. Smith, Shawn // Westchester County Business Journal;3/31/2003, Vol. 42 Issue 13, p4
Presents tips on employee termination. Consideration of the employment agreement; Assessment of the contractual obligations; Provision of severance payments.
- Tie severance pay to a release form. // Rural Telecommunications;Sep/Oct97, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p52
Focuses on the legal implications of tying severance pay to a form releasing the employers from wrongful discharge claims. Comment by Harry A. Zim, partner in the law firm Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker; Features of the forms that are tied to the severance pay; Benefits of the form.
- TOO LATE NOW. Alleyne, Sonia // Black Enterprise;Jul2002, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p52
Answers a question on the validity of a severance package after an employee has been laid off. Basis of severance pay; Importance of signing the severance acceptance letter.