ITU Chief Blasts U.S. On 3G
- ITU elects Japanese chief, Chinese standards head. Lynch, Grahame // Telecom Asia;Nov98, Vol. 9 Issue 11, p12
Focuses on the election of Yoshio Utsumi from Japan as secretary-general of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU). Other candidates for the position; Houlin Zhao of China's idea for modernizing the ITU; Challenges faced by the ITU.
- Beyond World Telecom 99. // Global Telephony;Oct99, Vol. 7 Issue 9, p74
Interviews International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Secretary General Yoshio Utsumi. Most important technological shifts in the industry; Concept of a single standard for third-generation mobile telephones; Ways that the ITU can help reconcile the requirements of global networks and national...
- Closing the global telecom gap: Is the ITU the right agency for the job? // Euronet;Dec2000, Issue 7, p40
Interviews Yoshio Utsumi, International Telecommunication Union (ITU) secretary general, regarding the role of ITU in closing global telecommunication gap. Performance update of the agency; Competition faced by ITU with other telecommunication agencies; Stance on the digital division of...
- ITU elects new leaders. // RCR;11/02/98, Vol. 17 Issue 44, p10
Focuses on the election of officers to the International Telecommunication Union. Selection of Yoshio Utsumi as secretary general; Designation of Roberto Blois as deputy secretary general; Replacements for Pekka Tarjanne and Henry Chasia; Career backgrounds.
- Closing the open telecom gap: Is the ITU the right agency for the job? Yoshio Utsumi // Telecom Asia;Dec2000, Vol. 11 Issue 12, p36
Interviews International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Secretary-general Yoshio Utsumi of Japan about the challenges facing the United Nations agency. Possibility that ITU will become irrelevant to a fast-moving and increasingly private sector; Obstacles to reforming the ITU; Role of ITU in the...
- The world vs. America. // America's Network;01/01/2001, Vol. 105 Issue 1, p35
No abstract available.
- Meeting 3G halfway. Tanner, John C. // Telecom Asia;Jul99, Vol. 10 Issue 7, p10
Focuses on the 2.5G wireless technology as an alternative to 3G whose applications standards is yet to be ratified by the International Telecommunications Union. Pressure from customers for telecommunications operator to adopt 3G technology; Capability of the 2.5.
- charting the 'More G' course. Albright, Peggy // Wireless Week;2/18/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 7, p32
Deals with the efforts of the International Telecommunication Union to conceptualize the 4th-generation (4G) technologies and wireless services. Outlook on 4G technologies; Significance of 4G technologies to the wireless industry.
- The cautious road beyond 3G. Albright, Peggy // Wireless Week;8/19/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 31, p32
Reports that members of the International Telecommunication Union formulate the characteristics they believe will best serve customers when the global industry moves beyond the emerging third-generation technology, officially called IMT-2000. Issue raised about the move of International...