Asthma: epidemiology, etiology and risk factors
- Canadian asthma consensus report, 1999. Boulet, Louis-Philippe; Becker, Allan; Berube, Denis; Beveridge, Robert; Ernst, Pierre // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal Supplement;11/30/1999 Asthma, Vol. 161 Issue 11, pS1
Objectives:To provide physicians with current guidelines for the diagnosis and optimal management of asthma in children and adult, including pregnant women and the elderly in office emergency department hospital and clinic settings. Options:The consensus group considered the roles of education,...
- Summery of recommendations from the Canadian Asthma Consensus Report, 1999. Boulet, Louis-Phillippe; Becker, Allan; Berube, Denis; Beveridge, Robert; Ernst, Pierre // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal Supplement;11/30/1999 Summary from CARC, Vol. 161 Issue 11, pS1
Presents recommendations from the Canadian medical community on the best ways to manage asthma. General principles of asthma care; Drug therapy; Environmental control; Patient education; Immunotherapy; Drug therapy; Delivery devices; Asthma in the elderly; Asthma in pregnancy; Emergency...
- Mothers' Asthma Control and Severity During Pregnancy Affect Offspring. Theuvenin, Frederique H. // Pulmonary Reviews;Nov2009, Vol. 14 Issue 11, p23
The article discusses research on risk factors linked to childhood asthma. It references a study by Marie-JosÃ©e Martel and colleagues, published in the September 2009 issue of "European Respiratory Journal." The researchers used interlinked data from three administrative health databases from...
- Greater use of antibiotics in infants linked with higher risk of asthma. // Infectious Diseases in Children;Apr2009, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p20
The article discusses research being done on the link between the use of antibiotics in infants and asthma development, published in the 2009 issue of "Pediatrics."
- Specific and Nonspecific Obstructive Lung Disease in Childhood: Causes of Changes in the Prevalence of Asthma. Platts-Mills, Thomas A.E.; Carter, Melody C.; Heymann, Peter W. // Environmental Health Perspectives Supplements;Aug2000 Supplement 4, Vol. 108, p725
Studies changes in the prevalence of childhood asthma in various countries. Theories on the causes of increase in asthma; Factors associated with increased risk for asthma; Allergic asthma among school-age children.
- Breathtaking. Goff, Karen Goldberg // Insight on the News;09/18/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 35, p33
Discusses several factors contributing to the increase in asthma among children in the United States. How obesity appears to be another lifestyle factors contributing to an increase in asthma; Discussion on the hygiene hypothesis; Environmental factors; Details on a study by the National...
- Neighborhood and Individual Socioeconomic Status and Asthma Incidence in African American Women. Coogan, Patricia F.; Castro-Webb, Nelsy; Yu, Jeffrey; O'Connor, George T.; Palmer, Julie R.; Rosenberg, Lynn // Ethnicity & Disease;Winter2016, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p113
Objective:Individual socioeconomic status (SES) has been associated with asthma incidence but whether neighborhood SES has an influence is unknown. We assessed the contributions of neighborhood socioeconomic status (SES), neighborhood housing density, neighborhood racial...
- Early antibiotic use associated with childhood asthma and allergy. // Australian Journal of Pharmacy;Jul2011, Vol. 92 Issue 1094, p91
The article focuses on the research regarding the association of antibiotic use with childhood asthma, in which the results showed that early antibiotic use is linked with asthma and allergy at six years and the protopathic bias was unlikely to explain the findings.
- Relation between Breastfeeding and the Prevalence of Asthma. Takemura, Yousuke; Sakurai, Yutaka; Honjo, Satoshi; Kusakari, Akira; Hara, Tomokuni; Gibo, Motonobu; Tokimatsu, Akira; Kugai, Nobuo // American Journal of Epidemiology;Vol. 154 Issue 2, p115
Many risk factors for asthma have been proposed including age, gender (male), smoking, and family history of asthma. The importance of breastfeeding to childhood asthma is a controversial issue. The present study investigated the relation between breastfeeding and the prevalence of asthma among...