Virginia Legislature Adjourns Without Budget
- Lawmakers split on what to do with $338M from feds. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;6/9/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 23, p19
Michigan's Governor Jennifer Granholm, citing education as a top priority, proposes to create a new reserve for school funding. But the proposal has drawn fire from business officials and others who say the new fund is unnecessary and duplicative. They want the money to go to the state's...
- Tax Rebates OK'd. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;6/10/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32151, p35
Reports on the approval of the 2005-2006 budget for the state of Nevada. Approval granted to the request of Governor Kenny Guinn to issue tax rebates by state lawmakers; Statement of Guinn regarding the budget process.
- Businesses blast N.J. budget plan. DAKS, MARTIN C. // njbiz;3/16/2009, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p1
The article reports on the reaction of business owners to the proposed budget of New Jersey Governor Jon S. Corzine. There are three ways in which businesses will be affected if the plan is approved by the legislature: a payroll tax increase of $70 to 95 per employee, an outright elimination of...
- THE INSIDER. Engquist, Erik; Michaud, Anne // Crain's New York Business;3/27/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 13, p10
The article reports that with only a few days to go before the official deadline for a state budget for New York, Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno is insisting on enacting a property tax rebate. A similar rebate was a political boost for Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and the move could help Bruno...
- Korea tries to boost vehicle sales with tax breaks. Chang, Peter // Automotive News;3/29/2004, Vol. 78 Issue 6086, p6
The Korean government, alarmed by a slumping economy and a sharp drop in new-vehicle sales, last week reintroduced a time-tested method for goosing consumption: tax cuts on passenger vehicles. The tax breaks, which helped boost local car sales by about 10 percent when it was offered temporarily...
- Fla. Gov. Rick Scott Outlines $400M in Tax Cuts. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;12/16/2013, Vol. 122 Issue 34028, p1
The article reports that Florida Governor Rick Scott has planned to cut motor vehicle taxes and fees of 400 million dollars that were increased during the time of recession to support state budget. It mentions that the budget will be released in January 2014, which will lower the annual motor...
- Texas Budget Board's Numbers Cut $1 Billion From Education. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/16/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31554, p1
Reports on the biennium budget for 2004-2005 presented by Texas Legislative Budget Board on January 14, 2003. Funds allocated for various programs and services; Criticism of reduction in funds for local public schools in the state; Members of the legislative budget board.
- California: End in Sight? Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;7/31/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31689, p1
Reports on the approval of state budget of California for the fiscal year 2003. Steps taken to make-up for a $38 billion shortfall for fiscal 2004 in the budget; Public response to the budget; Amount proposed by the California Senate for redevelopment agencies in the budget.
- Southwest Officials Trying To Budget Outside the Box. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/22/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31308, p1
Reports on the efforts of officials in Southwestern states to balance their budgets without cutting the budget for social programs. Estimated budget of Texas for 2002-03; Colorado's budget shortfall for 2002-03; Arkansas' forecasted revenue for fiscal year 2002.