Incidence and causes of heparin-induced skin lesions
- Low Allergenic Potential With Fondaparinux: Results of a Prospective Investigation. Schindewolf, Marc; Scheuermann, Julia; Kroll, Hartmut; Garbaraviciene, Jurate; Hecking, Carola; Marzi, Ingo; Wolter, Manfred; Kaufmann, Roland; Boehncke, Wolf-Henning; Lindhoff-Last, Edelgard; Ludwig, Ralf J. // Mayo Clinic Proceedings;Oct2010, Vol. 85 Issue 10, p913
OBJECTIVE: To determine the incidence and causes of skin reactions to the synthetic pentasaccharide fondaparinux. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Patients who received prophyiactic/ therapeutic subcutaneous fondaparinux treatment for more than 7 days were prospectively examined for cutaneous adverse...
- SKIN BIOPSY (2). Highet, Allan S.; Champion, Robert H. // British Medical Journal;5/31/1980, Vol. 280 Issue 6227, p1312
Discusses basic techniques in skin biopsy. Assessment on the sites of lesions; Description on various skin tumors; Preparation of the specimen for biopsy.
- Increased tissue leptin hormone level and mast cell count in skin tags: A possible role of adipoimmune in the growth of benign skin growths. El Safoury, Omar; Fawzi, Marwa; Abdel Hay, Rania M.; Hassan, Akmal S.; El Maadawi, Zeinab; Rashed, Laila // Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology;Sep/Oct2010, Vol. 76 Issue 5, p538
Background: Skin tags (ST) are common tumors. They mainly consist of loose fibrous tissue and occur on the neck and major flexures as small, soft, pedunculated protrusions. Decrease in endocrine, hormone level and other factors are thought to play a role in the evolution of ST. Leptin is an...
- Heparin: Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia with thrombosis: case report. // Reactions Weekly;Nov2013, Issue 1477, p21
The article presents a case report of a woman with a central pulmonary embolus and a femoral vein thrombosis who was given heparin and warfarin and developed heparin-induced thrombocytopenia with thrombosis during treatment.
- Differential Diagnosis of Severe Cutaneous Drug Eruptions. Bachot, Nicolas; Roujeau, Jean-Claude // American Journal of Clinical Dermatology;2003, Vol. 4 Issue 8, p561
Adverse cutaneous reactions to drugs are frequent, mostly secondary to antibacterials, however, serious adverse cutaneous reactions are infrequent. Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) and toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) are a spectrum of the same disease. They are the more severe drug eruptions,...
- Fondaparinux sodium. // Reactions Weekly;Apr2015, Vol. 1545 Issue 1, p110
The article discusses a study published in the November 2014 issue of "Thrombosis Research" that presented a case of an 89-year-old woman who heparin-induced thrombocytopenia during therapy with fondaparinux sodium.
- Focus on danaparoid: A heparinoid for DVT prophylaxis with potential for use in HIT. Campbell, Maria J.; Chow, Moses S.S. // Formulary;Dec97, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p1211
Focuses on danaparoid sodium, a heparinoid approved for prophylaxis of postoperative deep venous thrombosis (DVT) in patients undergoing hip replacement surgery, and studies its use in heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT). Chemistry and pharmacology; Pharmacokinetics; Clinical trials; Adverse...
- Muir-Torre syndrome - a case report and review of literature. Chawla, Nitin; Azad, Sheenam; Kudesia, Sandip // Internet Journal of Pathology;2009, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p6
Muir-Torre syndrome (MTS) is a rare autosomal dominant condition in which one or more primary malignancies occur together with a sebaceous gland tumor. We report a case of this rare syndrome who presented with a sebaceous epithelioma occurring in association with invasive ductal carcinoma breast...
- Immunomorphometric Study of E-caderin Expression in Malignant Skin Tumors. Eniko, Varo; Egyed-Zsigmond, I. // Acta Medica Marisiensis;Apr2012, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p120
Objective: Cadherins are transmembrane glycoprotein molecules, which interact with the cytoskeleton and their role is in cell recognition, tissue morphogenesis and tumor suppression. Our aim is to evaluate cell adhesion behavior in the main forms of skin cancer. Methods: Between 2003--2007, we...