Schools are Open, But are They Secure?
- Fear on the Borders. // Scholastic Administrator;May/June2010, Vol. 9 Issue 6, p7
The article reports on the security measures integrated by the Fort Hancock Independent School in Texas following the unsettling events that have demonstrated brutal intensity.
- School Security Report Details Liabilities and Improving School Climate. // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Apr2015, p14
The article focuses on the reports regarding the awareness of students and administrators' liabilities on school security issues particularly behavioral concerns which includes hurting others, drugs and alcohol, and bullying, which reference the issue on the report "2014 Student Safety Report".
- Freedom vs. security debate hits rural U.S. BECHMAN, TOM J. // Indiana Prairie Farmer;Jun2014, Vol. 188 Issue 6, p8
The article reflects on the use of locked doors and buzzer systems in schools of rural areas of the U.S. for the prevention of harm caused to schools and for keeping kids and school properties safe and emphasizes on counseling for students with special problems, as of June 2014.
- STAYING SAFE. D'ORIO, WAYNE // Scholastic Administrator;Winter2013, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p14
The article discusses the safety measures employed by schools in Brookfield, Connecticut in the neighborhood of the Sandy Hook Elementary School, which was recently targeted in a school shootout. Measures included adding a video facility to each school buzzer system, a second locked door to aid...
- The ABC's of security technology. Fickes, Michael // American School & University;Jul99, Vol. 71 Issue 11, pss21
Provides information on several technological products that may be used in the construction of a school security system. Benefits from using emergency communication devices; Functions of badging systems; Importance of having access control and intrusion detection systems.
- School Security: What is Being Used? // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Jan2011, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p12
The article provides information on the type of safety and security measures used by schools in the U.S. from 1999 to 2008.
- Turning the camera on crime. King, James D. // American School & University;Oct96, Vol. 69 Issue 2, p44
Discusses the use of security cameras in preventing crimes against students and property. Importance of security cameras in parking lots, campus stores, automatic teller machines and problem areas; Effect of security cameras on the efficiency of security employees; Average cost of...
- Critical elements in school security. Dunn, Martin // American School & University;Jul99, Vol. 71 Issue 11, pss13
Discusses the issues that pose as critical elements on school security in the United States. Importance of having a physical examination of the school campus; Information on quality-of-life; Steps that can be taken by educators in making their schools safer in the long run. INSET: Providing a...
- Why school security is vital. King, James D. // American School & University;Sep94, Vol. 67 Issue 1, p28
Cites the need for schools to have security program in place. Defensibility of schools against crime and intrusion; Security concerns as a requirement in school systems; Number of youths arrested for violent crimes; Prospects for increased crime-related activities.