The Early Effects of Tendon Transfers and Open Capsulorrhaphy on Glenohumeral Deformity in Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy
- MR neurography of acute and regenerated brachial plexus pressure palsy. Behrens, Lars; Bäumer, Philipp; Veltkamp, Roland; Meinck, Hans-Michael; Bendszus, Martin; Pham, Mirko // Journal of Neurology;Dec2013, Vol. 260 Issue 12, p3176
A letter to the editor about a 46-year-old female patient with acute and regenerated brachial plexus pressure palsy is presented.
- Shoulder function and anatomy in complete obstetric brachial plexus palsy: long-term improvement after triangle tilt surgery. Nath, Rahul K.; Karicherla, Priyanka; Mahmooduddin, Faiz // Child's Nervous System;Aug2010, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p1009
Untreated complete obstetric brachial plexus injury (COBPI) usually results in limited spontaneous recovery of shoulder function. Older methods used to treat COBPI have had questionable success, with very few studies being published. The purpose of the current study was to examine the results of...
- Bupivacaine/lidocaine/epinephrine. // Reactions Weekly;7/28/2012, Issue 1412, p11
The article describes the case of a 56-year-old woman who undertook a brachial plexus block with bupivacaine and lidocaine/epinephrine but developed unilateral phrenic nerve paresis and severe respiratory distress and bilateral bronchospasm.
- EFFECT OF TENDON TRANSFERS AND EXTRA-ARTICULAR SOFT-TISSUE BALANCING ON GLENOHUMERAL DEVELOPMENT IN BRACHIAL PLEXUS BIRTH PALSY. Waters, Peter M.; Bae, Donald S. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Feb2005, Vol. 87-A Issue 2, p320
Background: Persistent muscle imbalance and soft-tissue contractures can lead to progressive glenohumeral joint deformity in patients with brachial plexus birth palsy. The objective of this investigation was to determine the effects of correction of external rotation weakness and internal...
- Cortical Dysplasia and Obstetrical Brachial Plexus Palsy. Alfonso, Israel; Alfonso, Daniel T.; Price, Andrew E.; Grossman, John A. I. // Journal of Child Neurology;Dec2008, Vol. 23 Issue 12, p1477
We report 2 patients with obstetrical brachial plexus palsy, ipsilateral leg weakness, and contralateral motor cortical dysplasia. To our knowledge, this is the first description of such an association. In both cases, the diagnosis of obstetrical brachial plexus palsy was established clinically...
- Neurophysiological Findings in Patients With Backpack Palsy. // Journal of Neurological Sciences;2010, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p395
No abstract available.
- Does primary brachial plexus surgery alter palliative tendon transfer surgery outcomes in children with obstetric paralysis? Aydın, Atakan; Biçer, Ahmet; Özkan, Türker; Mersa, Berkan; Özkan, Safiye; Yıldırım, Zeynep Ho&3x015F;bay // BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders;2011, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p74
Background: The surgical management of obstetrical brachial plexus palsy can generally be divided into two groups; early reconstructions in which the plexus or affected nerves are addressed and late or palliative reconstructions in which the residual deformities are addressed. Tendon transfers...
- Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy. Ruchelsman, David E.; Pettrone, Sarah; Price, Andrew E.; Grossman, John A. I. // Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases;2009, Vol. 67 Issue 1, p83
Since the description by Smellie in 1764, in a French mid-wifery text, that first suggested an obstetric origin for upper limb birth palsy, great strides have been made in both diagnosis and early and late treatment. This report presents an overview of selected aspects of this complex and...
- Dermatoglyphs and Brachial Plexus Palsy. Polovina, Svetislav; Cvjetičanin, Miljenko; Miličić, Jasna; Prološčić, Tajana Polovina // Collegium Antropologicum;Sep2006, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p559
Perinatal brachial plexus palsy (PBPP) is a handicap quite commonly encountered in daily routine. Although birth trauma is considered to be the major cause of the defect, it has been observed that PBPP occurs only in some infants born under identical or nearly identical conditions. The aim of...