New Internet Tax Moratorium Bill Introduced in Senate
- House Panel Approves Two-Year Extension on Internet Tax Ban. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;10/11/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31241, p4
Reports the approval for the extension of federal moratorium on Internet access taxes and Internet-specific taxes by the House Judiciary Committee in the United States. Terms and conditions of the amendment; Irrelevance of the dispute over Internet Access taxes; Forecast on the revenues of...
- Lawmakers again try to make Internet tax moratorium permanent. Weaver, Heather Forsgren // RCR Wireless News;4/7/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 14, p12
Reports on the attempt of lawmakers to pass a permanent Internet tax moratorium in the U.S. Background on the moratorium; Implications of the Internet tax for wireless carriers; Obstacles of the permanent moratorium.
- Lack of Internet Tax Could Bust Booming California Cities. Figler, Andrea // Bond Buyer;03/24/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30856, p30
Discusses the impact of the federal moratorium on Internet sales tax on California's municipalities. Terms of the moratorium; Percentage of municipal income generated from sales tax; Lack of ways in which California's cities can raise taxes; Lobby efforts against the Internet sales tax...
- Net-Tax Ban Struggles. Brody-Waite, Brooke // Multichannel News;5/3/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 18, p118
Debates on the effect of voice-over Internet protocol (VoIP) telephony on the Internet-access tax ban in the U.S. proposed by Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.). Information on a moratorium on VoIP; Discussion on the effect of taxing telephone service on state and local revenues in the country;...
- Internet tax ban expires. // State Government News;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 44 Issue 10, p7
Reports on the expiration of the moratorium on Internet taxes in the United States (U.S.) on October 21, 2001. Reasons for the refusal of the U.S. Congress to extend the moratorium; Analysis of the tax impositions by state and local governments; Implications of the moratorium on Internet taxes...
- Will Congress Tax Internet Sales. Harrington, Lisa H. // Transportation & Distribution;Nov2001, Vol. 42 Issue 11, p68
Deals with the moratorium on Internet taxes in the United States (U.S.). Provision of the Internet Tax Freedom Act; Argument on the issue of taxing retail sales made over the Internet; Estimated cost of lost tax collections in the U.S. in 2001.
- House OKs Extension Of Internet Taxes Ban. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;10/17/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31245, p4
Reports the approval of the United States House of Representatives to extend the federal moratorium on Internet taxes. Pressures to Senate leadership to proceed approval of extension; Reason behind the expansion of tax by government officials; Sales tax restrictions of United States Supreme...
- Congress fails to extend Internet tax moratorium. Silva, Jeffrey // RCR Wireless News;10/22/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 43, p11
Focuses on the failure of the United States Congress to pass a legislation in 2001 to extend the Internet tax moratorium. Impact of the failure on Internet taxation; Views of legislators on the moratorium; Role of the terrorist attacks in the failure to pass a legislation.
- Internet tax bill could cost states, cities up to $9B. // RCR Wireless News;9/29/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 39, p19
Focuses on a study issued by the Multistate Tax Commission regarding the cost of the U.S. House-passed Internet tax moratorium to cities and states, as of September 2003. Reason for the conclusion that the loss in revenue is greater than it should be; Legal reading of the expansive language in...