Clark Panel: Questions & Answers
- Adding extra pressure to the debate over sustainable development. Ramsell-Naber, Phil // Engineer (00137758);3/1/2003, Vol. 291 Issue 7591, p14
Addresses the issue of the readiness of engineers for the challenge of sustainable development.
- The green thumb of capitalism. Reilly, William K. // Policy Review;Fall90, Issue 54, p16
Discusses the environmental benefits of sustainable development. Correlation between rising income and environmental concern; Environmental effects of growth in developing countries; Factors influencing the transition to sustainable patterns of growth.
- From the Editor. Nahan, Mike // Institute of Public Affairs Review;Jun2002, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p2
Comments on the 2002 World Conference on Sustainable Development's plans to condemn economic freedom which provides the most effective route from poverty and hopelessness. Average per capita income of the most economically free countries in 2000; Average growth rate of freest group of countries...
- What an Environmentally Sustainable Economy Looks Like. Williamson, Thad // Dollars & Sense;Jul/Aug99, Issue 224, p24
Discusses environmentally sustainable economy. What environmentally sustainable economy looks like; Institutions of a sustainable economy; Issue on consumerism.
- THE ECONOMY & the Earth. Brown, Lester R. // Mother Earth News;Feb/Mar2002, Issue 190, p22
Addresses the challenges in establishing an environmentally sustainable economy. Evidences of conflict between the economy and the ecosystem; Requirements for an eco-economy; Differences in the perception between ecology and economics. INSET: How does all this add up?.
- Economic growth linked to environmental decline. // Nation's Health;Aug2001, Vol. 31 Issue 7, p11
Reveals that Asia's economic development had a high environmental cost, according to a report. Estimated number of Asians who do not have access to safe drinking water near their homes; Other conditions that are expected to have a stark effect on the region's poor; What can produce major...
- Sustainable development. Das, A.K. // Chemical Business;Mar2001, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p7
Discusses a blueprint for global sustainable development produced from the 1992 United Nations Conference on Environment and Development. Definition of sustainable development; Objectives of the concept; Goals for each system of the development; Goals for primary environmental care.
- Exploring policy interventions for sustainable development in South Africa: a modelling approach. Erasmus, Louise; van Jaarsveld, Albert S. // South African Journal of Science;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 98 Issue 1/2, p3
Provides information on a study that assessed and evaluated sustainability options in South Africa using a dynamic model (LORAX) that encapsulates relationships between various sectors of the society. Methodology of the study; Results and discussion on the study; Conclusion. INSET: The LORAX...
- Modelling ecologically sustainable economic development in a region: a case study in the Netherlands. van den Bergh, Jeroen C.J.M. // Annals of Regional Science;Mar1994, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p7
This paper addresses the relevance of the notion of sustainable development in a regional context and the use of models for regional sustainable development policy. First, the notion of sustainable development is discussed by linking socio-economic and ecological elements. In a spatial context...