Watchtowers on the Water
- Michigan Fights to Preserve Historic Lighthouses. // State Legislatures;Sep2000, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p7
Deals with the Michigan Lighthouse Project which aims at preserving lighthouses in Michigan. Information on the lighthouses of Michigan; Background of the project; Comments from Representative Pat Godchaux of Michigan.
- To the lighthouse. Hills, Ann // History Today;Oct90, Vol. 40 Issue 10, p4
Surveys several of Britain's remaining manned lighthouses. Government plans to replace them with automatic controls; Efforts to restore several lighthouses and open them to the public.
- 1139. // History of Science & Technology;2004, p118
The article presents an encyclopedia entry for the construction of the harbor lighthouse in Genoa, Italy in 1139.
- 1157. // History of Science & Technology;2004, p118
The article presents an encyclopedia entry for the construction of lighthouses in Italy in 1157.
- Shining light. Thompson, Andrew // In Britain;Dec/Jan2005, Vol. 14 Issue 6, p26
This article presents information about the Start Point Lighthouse, Devon, England. Start Point is a remote and stunningly beautiful place on the south coast of Devon, the rocky headland seeming to run on and on out into the English Channel, the land slowly getting narrower and lower towards the...
- Sentinel of the Sea. // Saturday Evening Post;7/27/1957, Vol. 230 Issue 4, p32
The article focuses on the Yaquina Head lighthouse in Oregon. It was developed in 1873. The light station has been mistakenly built at the entrance to Yaquina Bay.
- ELBOW REEF LIGHTHOUSE: QUICK STATS. // Cruising World;Oct2013, Vol. 39 Issue 10, p26
Statistics are presented about the Elbow Reef Lighthouse in Hope Town, Abaco Island, the Bahamas including year built, feet tall hand cranking hours.
- NIGHLIGHTS. Baione, Patricia // Boating;Nov2005, Vol. 78 Issue 11, p98
Provides information about lighthouses in the U.S. Historical background of several lighthouses as well as the ghosts stories associated with the structure; Parts of a lighthouse; Advice of the U.S. Coast Guard regarding lighthouse jumping.
- Lighting up. // In Britain;Dec/Jan2005, Vol. 14 Issue 6, p30
This article presents information related to lighthouses in Great Britain. Britain's maritime heritage is being preserved by tourism. In recent years, British lighthouses have been automated and the question arose of how this massive chunk of British maritime heritage could best be preserved....