Sales Tax Vote Could Give Izard County, Ark.'s Jail a Badly Needed Reprieve
- New jail to go to Bosque voters. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);7/14/2010, Vol. 24 Issue 28, p1
The article reports on the decision of Bosque County Commissioner's Court to let voters decide whether to fund a new jail to replace the current facility in Texas.
- MISSISSIPPI: Jail GOs Shot Down. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;11/13/2008, Vol. 366 Issue 33003, p9
The article reports on the failure of Jackson County, Mississippi to get the approval from voters concerning the issuance of $22 million of general obligation (GO) bonds for a new jail. The county's Board of Supervisors President John McKay stresses that they will look at other methods of...
- Bernalillo County, N.M., Leasing Old Jail in Order to Back New Jail Bonds. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;1/16/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31554, p29
Reports on the plans of Bernalillo County, New Mexico to lease its jail in Albuquerque, New Mexico to a private operator and use the rent to back revenue bonds for a psychiatric unit. Estimated cost of the psychiatric unit; Criticism of the county's plans; Credit ratings of the county.
- Arizona Taxpayers Find Revenues Not Going Directly to Jail. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;7/09/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31673, p4
Reports on the approval by voters in Maricopa County, Arizona for the maintenance of jails in the county. Plans of the county to build a training department the collected tax; Features of the training department; Comments of the president of Arizona Tax Research Association Kelvin McCarthy over...
- SHERIFF TAKES A STAND Thanks to an expanded jail, the worst of the worst stay behind bars. Lee, Harry // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);6/2/2003, Vol. 23 Issue 49, p40
Comments on the expansion of the Jefferson Parish Correctional Center in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. Problem of overcrowding that the jail experienced prior to the expansion; Agreement among local municipalities to put video poker revenues into a pool that would be used to pay for an expanded...
- Expanded jail sharply reduces inmate releases caused by overcrowding. // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);6/2/2003, Vol. 23 Issue 49, p40
Reports on how the expansion of the Jefferson Parish Correctional Center in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, resulted in the reduction of inmate releases. Number of inmates that the Sheriff's Office had to release each month because of overcrowding; Total number of beds at the jail after the...
- Jail overcrowding a modern `Catch-22'. // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);8/26/96, Vol. 17 Issue 7, p49
Focuses on the modern day `Catch-22' dilemma being experienced by the Jefferson Parish Jail in Louisiana in lieu of the overcrowding problem of the facility. Voters' rejection of the jail facility expansion; Development of point system; Release of least violent offenders.
- Private firm may lock up jail project. Beaven, Stephen; Andrews, Greg // Indianapolis Business Journal;8/28/95, Vol. 16 Issue 22, p1
Reports on Marion County, Indiana officials' examination of construction bids for the proposed expansion of the Marion County Jail. Deadline for submission of proposals; Planned outsourcing of the jail's operation to public companies; Ownership and maintenance of the existing jail.
- Officials lock up flock of jail bids. Beaven, Stephen // Indianapolis Business Journal;10/9/95, Vol. 16 Issue 29, p1
No abstract available.