A CONVERSATION ON FEDERALISM AND THE STATES: THE BALANCING ACT OF DEVOLUTION
- From Welfare to Work. Sawhill, Isabel // Brookings Review;Summer2001, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p4
Discusses welfare reform and its reauthorization in the United States. Long-term implications of welfare reform; Major purpose of the 1996 welfare reform; Implications of the welfare reform to the cycle of child poverty; Comments on several issues and challenges entwined with the...
- Campaign 2000 The Welfare Reform Debate That Wasn't. Weber, Vin // Brookings Review;Summer2001, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p10
Focuses on the advantageous changes in welfare reform in the United States. Emergence of a Republican group with a serious interest in reducing poverty; Increased interest in the reduction of poverty; Continuance of public reform experiments; Efforts toward perfecting public welfare policy.
- Welfare and the culture of poverty. Niskanen, William A. // CATO Journal;Spring/Summer96, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p1
Focuses on welfare and the culture of poverty in the United States (U.S.). What assistance former President Franklin D. Roosevelt proposed to the poor; Percentage of the American population that was dependent on Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) in 1992; Information on poverty and...
- Farewell to welfare. Albelda, Randy // Dollars & Sense;Nov/Dec96, Issue 208, p16
Discusses the effect of welfare reform on poverty in the United States. Description of the Aid for the Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) and the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF); Insufficiency of women's wages to support families; Definition of welfare under the welfare...
- Welfare reform and the Clinton administration. Ellwood, David // Social Justice;1994, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p50
Refutes the belief that the welfare system has done more harm to poverty than good. Causes of poverty; The fact that for many people, work does not pay enough to keep a family above the poverty line; Futility of a single parent raising and providing for the children alone; Four elements of the...
- The welfare muddle. // World & I;Sep95, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p14
Editorial. Comments on welfare in the United States. Issue of poverty; Proposals for job training for welfare recipients; Breakdown of the family and of moral values.
- Tyranny of kindness. Funiciello, Theresa // World & I;Sep95, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p320
Focuses on the emergence of an `industry' whose role is to service the poor. Indirect method of almost-helping; Expansion of the system of middle-class social-welfare professionals into the poverty industry; Direct cash assistance.
- Welfare on the wane? Schnepper, Jeff A. // USA Today Magazine;Mar95, Vol. 123 Issue 2598, p21
Reflects on the failure of the American social welfare system to solve the country's poverty problem. Statistics on Americans who live below the poverty threshold in 1993; Welfare reforms proposed by Republicans in their `Contract With America' program.
- It's poverty, stupid. Wiesner, Pat // Colorado Business Magazine;Jun94, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p8
Discusses several aspects concerning poverty in the United States. Psychological consequences; Need to foster business growth; Elimination of welfare; Education of the young.