- The State of American Federalism 1988-1989. Pagano, Michael A.; Bowman, Ann O'M. // Publius: The Journal of Federalism;Summer89, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p1
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by Thomas F. Remington on Soviet Federalism and another by Wayne A. Selcher on Decentralized Federalism in Brazil.
- Waiting for devolution. Chi, Keon S. // State Government News;Dec98, Vol. 41 Issue 10, p38
Comments on the attempts to rebalance state-federal relations in the United States. Details on the competing views on the direction of federalism; Example of devolution; Counter-Devolution; Centralization; Inherent problems with initiatives to decentralize responsibilities of government.
- The state of the Union. Alexander, Alan // Public Finance;06/08/2001-06/14/2001, p32
Focuses on the devolution government system in Great Britain. Elements on the creation of devolution; Policy differences towards federalism; Sustainability of the devolution system.
- Demand our fair share. // Hub (Hay River, NT);2/6/2013, Vol. 41 Issue 49, p4
In this article, the author argues against a final agreement on transfer of authority to the Government of the Northwest Territories by the Canadian federal government.
- Devolution, Fiscal Federalism, and Changing Patterns of Municipal Revenues: The Mismatch between Theory and Reality. Krane, Dale; Ebdon, Carol; Bartle, John // Journal of Public Administration Research & Theory;Oct2004, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p513
Theories of fiscal federalism, such as those propounded by Musgrave, Tiebout, and Brennan and Buchanan, prescribe assignment of revenue sources among federal, state, and local governments. In this article, we demonstrate that the recent diversification of municipal revenue sources in response to...
- FORMALIZING LOCAL CONSTITUTIONAL STANDARDS OF REVIEW AND THE IMPLICATIONS FOR FEDERALISM. King, David A. // Virginia Law Review;Nov2011, Vol. 97 Issue 7, p1685
The article focuses on the implications of federalism on local constitutional standards in the U.S. Information is provided on how there is a disagreement over the constitutional power held by the federal and state governments. The author notes that precedent shows a decentralization of power...
- Decentralization, Devolution, Financial Shortfalls, and State Priorities in Service Programs in the Early 2000s. Sosin, Michael R. // Journal of Public Administration Research & Theory;Oct2012, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p701
Although decentralization and devolution in some ways increase state governmentsâ€™ discretion, they in other ways may limit that discretion. The current study tests the thesis that, at least in the early 2000s, discretion declined in some statesâ€™ substance abuse service systems;...
- Conservatism, Centralization, and Constitutional Federalism. Carey, George W. // Modern Age;Winter/Spring2004, Vol. 46 Issue 1/2, p48
Explores the ramifications of conceptions or paradigms of U.S. federalism whose roots can be traced to "The Federalist" essay of Hamilton and Madison. Teachings of "The Federalist" regarding the federal principle; Aspects of the tensions between the state and the national governments;...
- Take the money and run. Holden, Janelle // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;12/21/98, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p8
Discusses the federal-provincial government relationship in Canada. The premiers calling for restoration of $6.5 billion to provincial healthcare funding in 1999; The balance that social union could provide the Canadian federation; What a social union would require; The role of Quebec...