Eliminating High Seas Piracy
- Counterpiracy Mission Targets Seafarers' Hearts and Minds. Axe, David // WPR Subset;10/14/2009, p1
The article reports on a five-ship counterpiracy mission by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) task force in mid-September 2009 aboard U.S.S. Donald Cook. It says that the blue-painted fishing vessel with hooks on its railings increases the possibility of its encounter with East...
- Royal Australian Navy frigate joins counter-piracy task. // Ausmarine;Oct2009, Vol. 31 Issue 12, p14
The article announces that the ship HMSA Toowoomba of the Royal Australian Navy will join the U.S. led Combined Task Force combating piracy in the Horn of Africa. The ANZAC-class frigate will provide a major deterrent presence, escort merchant shipping in the maritime corridors of the Gulf of...
- Los Angeles Antipiracy Bust Is The Largest in the City's History. Tribbey, Chris // Home Media Magazine;1/3/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p4
The article reports on the number of arrests and value of counterfeit goods seized by the Anti-Piracy Task Force of Los Angeles, California during the 2010 holiday season.
- Laundering Pirates? Nance, Mark T.; Jakobi, Anja P. // Journal of International Criminal Justice;Sep2012, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p857
Officials only recently have begun considering the use of financial investigative techniques, especially anti-money laundering (AML) tactics, in counter-piracy efforts. Europol and INTERPOL are attempting to establish coordinated law enforcement approaches to the problem of piracy, while the...
- INDIA BOWS PIRACY LAW. Ramachandran, Naman // Daily Variety;3/22/2010, Vol. 306 Issue 55, p5
The article reports on the creation of an anti-piracy taskforce by the Indian government as part of its goal of imposing a tougher fight against piracy.
- Maritime Security and Piracy: Another First for the SAF. Chan, Samuel // Issues in Human Security in Asia;2011, p160
The article discusses the appointment of Singaporean naval officer Rear Admiral Bernard Miranda to direct the Combined Task Force 151 (CTF-151), a multinational anti-piracy mission formed on January 8, 2009. It talks on the three key goals of the CTF-151 which are to deter piracy, to guide ships...
- Film Council driving U.K.'s piracy battle. Bennett, Ray; Pryor, Peter // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;8/19/2003, Vol. 379 Issue 48, p119
The British film industry has decided to tackle movie piracy head-on with the Film Council setting up a task force to fight the Great Britain piracy market that it said threatens future film production, funds organized crime and endangers industry jobs. Great Britain's Film Council board member...
- Crime on the High Seas. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 3;10/14/2011, Vol. 81 Issue 6, p4
A quiz about the number of pirate crimes around the world is presented.
- Know the News. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 3;10/14/2011, Vol. 81 Issue 6, p4
A quiz about an article on the pirate Blackbeard in the October 14, 2011 issue of "Weekly Reader" is presented.