The safety of home birth: Is the evidence good enough?
- What influences women in Athens to choose home birth? Kontoyannis, Maria; Katsetos, Christos // British Journal of Midwifery;Jan2008, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p44
Home birth rates in Greece have decreased in the last 25 years and make up less than 0.9% of the total births. In contrast, the caesarean section rate exceeded 50% in 2001. The home birth service is only provided on a small scale by private midwives and does not come under the auspices of the...
- Haemorrhage and homebirth. Abbot, Laura // British Journal of Midwifery;Jul2003, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p430
Deals with the physiological third stages of labor. Homebirth; Hemorrhage during labor; Childbirth management.
- Choose the best birthing option. Johnson, Kirk A. // Heart & Soul;Dec97, Issue 24, p86
Presents advantages and disadvantages of birthing option. Hospital with an obstetrician; Home delivery with a midwife; Birthing centers.
- Do-it-yourself delivery. Lynch, Elizabeth // Nursing Standard;11/21/2007, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p22
More women are opting for an unassisted 'freebirth'. But midwives and doctors are concerned about the dangers.
- Review: A home-like birth environment has beneficial effects on labor and delivery. Nikodem, Cheryl // ACP Journal Club;Jul/Aug2002, Vol. 137 Issue 1, p29
Provides information on a study that examined the effects of a home-like birth environment compared with those of a conventional labor ward on labor and birth outcomes in women at low risk for obstetric complications. Data sources; Study selection; Main results; Conclusion.
- The hazards of home birth. Stenson, Jacqueline // Baby Talk;Mar2003, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p71
Deals with risks attributed to home births. Factors contributing to the increase in the number of home births in the U.S.; Dangers for first-time mothers; Conditions which contraindicate home births.
- A Reflection on a Home Birth. Berkley, Anna // Midwifery Matters;Autumn2002, Issue 94, p4
Relates author's experience of labor and child birth at home. Role of midwives in caring for women and babies; Effect of environment on woman in a labor; Importance to have a trusting relationship with midwives.
- 'Born before arrival': bad for baby, but better for perineum? Robinson, Jean // AIMS Journal;2002, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p17
Discusses findings of a study in Glasgow of accidental out-of-hospital deliveries from 1995-1999. Number of babies born at home; Other places babies were born; Characteristics of out-of-hospital babies.
- The Safety of Home Birth. // Natural Child Magazine;Jul/Aug2013, p26
The article reports on the study which demonstrates the safety of planned home births among low-risk women. It reveals that the rate of medical interventions is lower for planned home versus planned hospital births. The results prompted researchers to study to compare the severe adverse...