Overcrowded Georgia School District To Gamble on Tax Increase, Bond Sale
- Southwest building trades endorse Madison County school tax. // Southern Illinois Labor Tribune;3/17/2011, Vol. 74 Issue 33, p3
The article reports on the endorsement of a 1-cent retail sales tax by the Southwestern Illinois Building Trades Council for Madison County schools used to generate between 5 million and 10 million dollars in renovation and construction projects of school buildings.
- SPLOSTs Power School Boom. // Georgia Trend;Mar2001, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p75
Highlights the role of Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOSTs) in school construction boom in Georgia. Constitutional amendment that allows local school boards to tap into local sales tax revenue; Second SPLOST for 2002-2007.
- Virginia's Warren, Fairfax Counties Ready Deals. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;8/13/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31947, p5
Reports on the move of the county government to put together revenue bond deal for school projects by Warren County, Virginia. Decision of the government not to conduct a referendum for fear of failure; Aim of the officials to have flexibility to structure the deal; Proceeds from the sales of...
- Florida's Pasco County Schools Ready $30 Million Sale. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;7/21/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32179, p30
Reports on the plans of the Pasco County School Board to auction securities as part of the district's ten-year capital improvement plan in Florida. Use of the proceeds to help finance the development of three elementary schools; Construction of twenty new schools; Assessment of planned capital...
- North Dakota Senator Proposes Using QZABs For New School Construction. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;3/8/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32334, p7
The article examines a legislation that would authorize municipalities to utilize qualified zone academy bonds (QZAB) to finance new school construction in the United States. Introduced by Senator Kent Conrad, the bill would open up the program to all types of tax-exempt bond investors, permit...
- Sales Taxes for New Orleans Schools. // District Administration;Apr2008, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p17
The article reports that voters in St. Tammany Parish Public Schools district, New Orleans, Louisiana have approved tax measures to raise $167 million for the school system. It mentions that tax measures will provide a flow of sales tax income for capital, technology and security improvements of...
- Idaho School Leader Wants Sales Tax For School Construction. Webster, Keeley // Bond Buyer;11/19/2014, Issue 34213, p1
A northern Idaho school district superintendent wants state legislators to sponsor a proposal that would allow school districts to use sales tax increases to pay for school construction.
- LOUISIANA: Offshoot District Eyes $100M. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;5/1/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32869, p9
The article reports on the $100 million bond issue proposed by the East Baton Rouge Parish school district in Louisiana. The bond is supported by increases in the parish sales tax and property tax. Its proceeds will be used in constructing a school complex that would consolidate and replace the...
- N.J. to Sell $1.5B in Trans, Starting Two-Month Issuing Cycle. D'Ambrosio, Jill // Bond Buyer;8/3/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31939, p32
Reports on the issuance of tax and revenue anticipation notes by the state government in New Jersey. Improvement of cash flow due to the outflow of money to state programs; Occurrence of state budget deficits; Construction of school buildings.
- Princeton Flaunts Its Triple-A Grade As It Goes to Market With $250 Million. Kaske, Michael // Bond Buyer;9/8/2008, Vol. 365 Issue 32956, p8
The article reports that the Princeton University will take bids form $250 million of natural triple-A rated debt to help pay for new academic buildings and maintenance projects in Princeton, New Jersey. The school benefits from offering the bonds through an open bidding process and from the...