DETERMINING WHAT GOES WHERE: PRODUCE STORAGE
- Keep Produce Fresh Longer. Breakstone, Stephanie // Prevention;Jul2009, Vol. 61 Issue 7, p35
The article highlights the tips given by Marita Cantwell, a post-harvest specialist at the University of California in Davis, on the proper storage of fresh produce. According to Cantwell, watermelon should not be stored near other fruits because the ethylene that is released by fruits could...
- A root cellar for food and storage. Robishaw, Sue // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Nov/Dec2004, Vol. 88 Issue 6, p73
Focuses on the use of root cellars for food storage in homesteads. Sources of information on root cellars; Alternatives to root cellars; Tips for storing different kinds of food and crops in a root cellar.
- 4. MARKETING FARM PRODUCTS. BREYER, RALPH F. // Journal of Marketing;Jan1946, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p296
A number of abstracts are presented for articles and a book pertaining to the marketing of farm products. They include "Cooperative Possibilities in Freezing Fruits and Vegetables," by Anne L. Gessner," a study on the merchandising of fresh fruits and vegetables by the Bureau of Agricultural...
- How to keep just about anything. // Country Journal;Jul/Aug95, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p46
Presents tips on storing different kinds of fruits and vegetables. Includes apples, grapes and plums; Broccoli, cucumbers and rutabagas.
- Tricks of the produce trade. Parseghian, Pamela // Nation's Restaurant News;1/16/95, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p25
Provides tips on how to retain the freshness and flavor of fruits and vegetables. Effect of refrigeration; Handling of potatoes; Turnips; Grapes; Pineapples; Berries; Citrus; Apples; Garlic and onions; Watermelon; Eggplants; Cherries; Leeks and celery.
- Slowing the deterioration of fruits and vegetables after harvest. Hobson, GRaeme // Journal of Biological Education (Society of Biology);Summer92, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p100
Offers advice aimed at slowing the deterioration of fruits and vegetables after harvest. Effect of bruising on fruits and vegetables; Benefits of low temperature storage; Ways to extend vase life of flowers; Wax treatment on surface coats of fruits; Storage using thin plastic films; Storage...
- No more limp fruits and veggies! // Body Bulletin;Jul95, p1
Presents tips on how to store fruits and vegetables. Tomatoes; Grapes and berries; Lettuce; Storage guidelines.
- Chilling With Veggies. // Saturday Evening Post;Jul/Aug2012, Vol. 284 Issue 4, p12
The article offers instructions for storing fruits and vegetables such as tomatoes, avocados, and melons.
- Stress less at mealtime by prepping ahead. // All You;9/14/2012 Special Issue, p36
The article offers ideas and tips to plan, prepare, and store foods to get healthy meals on the table. The approaches include setting time on a week-end to get the food ready, to shop fresh foods at the farmers markets, and to list ingredients and use the most perishable ones. It further...