Geological and archaeological implications of strontium isotope analysis of exposed bedrock in the Chicxulub crater basin, northwestern Yucatan, Mexico
- UN ANÃLISIS ARQUEOASTRONÃ“MICO DEL EDIFICIO CIRCULAR Q152 DE MAYAPÃN. GALINDO TREJO, JESÚS // Estudios de Cultura Maya;2007, Vol. 29, p63
The round building Q152 at Mayapan has been often considered as an observatory similar to El Caracol at Chichen Itza. In this study I present a meticulous archaeoastronomical analysis which shows that this structure is rather a calendric-astronomical observatory. It signalizes the arrival of...
- Late Holocene stratigraphy of the Tetimpa archaeological sites, northeast flank of Popocatepetl... Panfil, Maria S.; Gardner, Thomas W. // Geological Society of America Bulletin;Feb99, Vol. 111 Issue 2, p204
Investigates the late Holocene stratigraphy of archaeological sites in the Tetimpa area, on the northeast flank of Popocatepetl volcano in central Mexico. Reconstruction of eruptive chronology and the regional extent of deposits associated with the Tetimpa archaeological sites; Radiocarbon...
- Against the Odds, Women Workers Shake a Mountain. Paterson, Kent // La Prensa San Diego;12/4/2009, Vol. 33 Issue 49, p2
The article reports on the Cafe Mayachen, the latest project of El Paso's La Mujer Obrera (LMO) and El Puente Development Corp. in Mercado Mayapan, Mexico. It notes that the museum, which was planned as a showcase for grassroots literary, artistic and musical talent, displays the history of El...
- Mid-Cretaceous strontium-isotope stratigraphy of deep-sea sections. Bralower, T.J.; Fullagar, P.D. // Geological Society of America Bulletin;Nov97, Vol. 109 Issue 11, p1421
Addresses the major fluctuations in the strontium (Sr)-isotope composition of seawater which are recorded in Phanerozoic marine carbonate strata. Development of a Sr-isotope stratigraphy for the Neogene; Other uses of Sr-isotopes; How the Sr-isotopes composition of seawater is controlled.
- The Carnegie Maya II: the Carnegie Institution of Washington current reports, 1952-1957. MILBRATH, SUSAN // Antiquity;Dec2010, Vol. 84 Issue 326, p1214
A review of the book and CD-ROM (compact disc read-only memory) "The Carnegie Maya: The Carnegie Institution of Washington Current Reports 1952-1957," by John M. Weeks, with a foreward by Marilyn Masson, is presented.
- Strontium isotope profiles of Triassic-Jurassic boundary sections in England and Austria. Hallam, Anthony // Geology;Dec94, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p1079
Presents strontium isotopes profiles from the Austrian Salzkammergut and southwest England as two of the best available marine sections across the Triassic-Jurassic boundary. Impact of diagenesis in the English section; Sr isotope results; Oxygen isotope data; Contrast to what has been claimed...
- Tree trail to Chaco Canyon. Diamond, Jared // Nature;10/18/2001, Vol. 413 Issue 6857, p687
Evaluates the provenance studies in identifying geographical source of materials. Development of method in finding the origin of plant materials; Use of strontium isotope ratio as an environmental tracer; Identification of the existence of complex regional economic system.
- The strontium isotope systematics of the Orange River, Southern Africa. de Villiers, S.; Compton, J. S.; Lavelle, M. // South African Journal of Geology;Dec2000, Vol. 103 Issue 3/4, p237
The [supSr/[sup 86]Sr ratio of Orange River water increases from 0.7081 at its headwaters in the basalt of the Drakensberg mountains, to a value of 0.7126 before its confluence with the Vaal River tributary. The concomitant increase in Sr concentration is from 0.08 to 1.28 micro M. The Vaal...
- Use of strontium isotope ratios and rare earth elements in apatite microphenocrysts for characterization and correlation of Silurian metabentonites: a Scandinavian case study. BATCHELOR, RICHARD A.; EVANS, JANE // Norwegian Journal of Geology / Norsk Geologisk Forening;05/24/2000, Vol. 80 Issue 1, p3
The Sr isotope ratio ([sup 87]Sr/[sup 86]Sr) was determined for 10 samples of apatite microphenocrysts separated from Telychian (Silurian) metabentonites from the Garntangen Member, Vik Formation, Oslo, Norway, and two samples from the Lower Visby Formation, Gotland, Sweden. The results for the...