Geological and archaeological implications of strontium isotope analysis of exposed bedrock in the Chicxulub crater basin, northwestern Yucatan, Mexico
- Effects of bedrock on the chemical and Sr isotopic compositions of plants. Song, Byeong-Yeol; Gautam, Mukesh; Ryu, Jong-Sik; Lee, Dongho; Lee, Kwang-Sik // Environmental Earth Sciences;Jul2015, Vol. 74 Issue 1, p829
This study was conducted to investigate the relationship between the chemical and isotopic compositions of plants and the lithology of their growth location. This relationship is one of the principles underlying the geographical discrimination used for agricultural, forestry, and food products....
- UN ANÃLISIS ARQUEOASTRONÃ“MICO DEL EDIFICIO CIRCULAR Q152 DE MAYAPÃN. GALINDO TREJO, JESÚS // Estudios de Cultura Maya;2007, Vol. 29, p63
The round building Q152 at Mayapan has been often considered as an observatory similar to El Caracol at Chichen Itza. In this study I present a meticulous archaeoastronomical analysis which shows that this structure is rather a calendric-astronomical observatory. It signalizes the arrival of...
- Late Holocene stratigraphy of the Tetimpa archaeological sites, northeast flank of Popocatepetl... Panfil, Maria S.; Gardner, Thomas W. // Geological Society of America Bulletin;Feb99, Vol. 111 Issue 2, p204
Investigates the late Holocene stratigraphy of archaeological sites in the Tetimpa area, on the northeast flank of Popocatepetl volcano in central Mexico. Reconstruction of eruptive chronology and the regional extent of deposits associated with the Tetimpa archaeological sites; Radiocarbon...
- Geoarchaeology of the Knife Lake Siltstone Quarry District, BWCAW/SNF, Lake County, Minnesota: 2012 Exploration of the U.S. Quarries. Wendt, Dan; Mulholland, Susan // Minnesota Archaeologist;2013, Vol. 72, p158
Geoarchaeological research at the Knife Lake quarries on the U.S. side of the international border was conducted to understand the geological context of the archaeological sites. Previous geological research focused on broad, large-scale patterns rather than the detailed, fine-scale...
- Against the Odds, Women Workers Shake a Mountain. Paterson, Kent // La Prensa San Diego;12/4/2009, Vol. 33 Issue 49, p2
The article reports on the Cafe Mayachen, the latest project of El Paso's La Mujer Obrera (LMO) and El Puente Development Corp. in Mercado Mayapan, Mexico. It notes that the museum, which was planned as a showcase for grassroots literary, artistic and musical talent, displays the history of El...
- Mid-Cretaceous strontium-isotope stratigraphy of deep-sea sections. Bralower, T.J.; Fullagar, P.D. // Geological Society of America Bulletin;Nov97, Vol. 109 Issue 11, p1421
Addresses the major fluctuations in the strontium (Sr)-isotope composition of seawater which are recorded in Phanerozoic marine carbonate strata. Development of a Sr-isotope stratigraphy for the Neogene; Other uses of Sr-isotopes; How the Sr-isotopes composition of seawater is controlled.
- Strontium isotope evidence for landscape use by early hominins. Copeland, Sandi R.; Sponheimer, Matt; de Ruiter, Darryl J.; Lee-Thorp, Julia A.; Codron, Daryl; le Roux, Petrus J.; Grimes, Vaughan; Richards, Michael P. // Nature;7/28/2011, Vol. 475 Issue 7357, p532
A correction to the article "Strontium isotope evidence for landscape use by early hominins" that was published in the 2011 issue is presented.
- The Carnegie Maya II: the Carnegie Institution of Washington current reports, 1952-1957. MILBRATH, SUSAN // Antiquity;Dec2010, Vol. 84 Issue 326, p1214
A review of the book and CD-ROM (compact disc read-only memory) "The Carnegie Maya: The Carnegie Institution of Washington Current Reports 1952-1957," by John M. Weeks, with a foreward by Marilyn Masson, is presented.
- Strontium isotope profiles of Triassic-Jurassic boundary sections in England and Austria. Hallam, Anthony // Geology;Dec94, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p1079
Presents strontium isotopes profiles from the Austrian Salzkammergut and southwest England as two of the best available marine sections across the Triassic-Jurassic boundary. Impact of diagenesis in the English section; Sr isotope results; Oxygen isotope data; Contrast to what has been claimed...