Improving the treatment of major osteoporotic fractures
- Osteoclast abnormalities in fractured bone during bisphosphonate treatment for osteoporosis: a case report. Vigorita, V.; Silver, J.; Eisemon, E. // Skeletal Radiology;Jul2012, Vol. 41 Issue 7, p861
Bisphosphonates have been widely used in the treatment of an array of bone disorders. Recent complications have included unusual femoral fractures in patients who have received long term bisphosphonate treatment for osteoporosis. Although it has been shown that bisphosphonates are effective by...
- Alendronate given for 4 years continues to increase bone density. // Geriatrics;Jan98, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p68
Focuses on the bisphosphonate alendronate sodium (Fosamax) and its ability to promote bone density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. Details on a two-year extension study conducted by Ronald Emkey, M.D., director of the Bone Research Center, Reading Hospital and Medical Center in West...
- Erratum to: Clinical efficacy and treatment persistence of monthly minodronate for osteoporotic patients unsatisfied with, and shifted from, daily or weekly bisphosphonates: the BP-MUSASHI study. Sakai, A.; Ikeda, S.; Okimoto, N.; Matsumoto, H.; Teshima, K.; Okazaki, Y.; Fukuda, F.; Arita, S.; Tsurukami, H.; Nagashima, M.; Yoshioka, T. // Osteoporosis International;Oct2014, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p2505
A correction to the article "Clinical efficacy and treatment persistence of monthly minodronate for osteoporotic patients unsatisfied with, and shifted from, daily or weekly bisphosphonates: The BP-MUSASHI study" that was published in a previous issue is presented.
- Etidronate thwarts osteoporosis secondary to corticosteroids. // Geriatrics;Sep97, Vol. 52 Issue 9, p96
Reveals that the intermittent cyclical theraphy (ICT) with the bisphosphonate etidronate disodium drugs can prevent corticosteroids-induced osteoporosis according to a Canadian collaborative trial. Study that supported this claim; Advantage of this drug compared to other drugs of choice.
- Bisphosphonate shows benefit for established osteoporosis in 1 year. // Geriatrics;Jan2000, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p32
Details a study that examined the use of risedronate (Actonel) in persons with osteoporosis conducted by the Vertebral Efficacy with Risedronate Therapy study group. Advantages of using bisphosphonate in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis; Methodology; Results; Conclusion; Implications.
- Efficacy and safety of a bisphosphonate dosed once weekly . Baran, Daniel // Geriatrics;Mar2001, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p28
Evaluates the efficacy and safety of biphosphonate alendronate in treating and preventing postmenopausal osteoporosis. Clinical impact of osteoporosis; Steps in a bone remodeling cycle; Evaluation of other antiresorptive agents.
- Bisphosphonates: Safety and Efficacy in the Treatment and Prevention of Osteoporosis. Greenspan, Susan L.; Harris, Steven T.; Bone, Henry; Miller, Paul D.; Orwoll, Eric S.; Watts, Nelson B.; Rosen, Clifford J. // American Family Physician;5/1/2000, Vol. 61 Issue 9, p2731
Evaluates the efficacy and safety of bisphosphonates in treating and preventing osteoporosis. Background on bisphosphonates; Prevention of bone loss in postmenopausal osteoporosis; Treatment of established postmenopausal osteoporosis.
- Treating glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. // Critical Care Alert;Jun2009 Pharmacology, p2
The article discusses a new study from "Lancet" which suggests that a once-yearly infusion of zoledronic acid is as effective as daily risedronate for patients with glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis.
- Effect of oral alendronate on postmenopausal osteoporosis. // American Family Physician;4/1/1996, Vol. 53 Issue 5, p1848
Focuses on the effects of oral alendronate, a bisphosphonate, on bone mineral density and fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. Methodology of study; Number of participants; Authors' conclusion; Increase in bone density; Study from U.A. Liberman in the New England Journal of...