(LOW-INCOME) Great American Bake Sale
- Feeding the Hungry. Lynn, Andrea // Parks & Recreation;Aug2010, Vol. 45 Issue 8, p24
The article offers information on the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) in the City of Greenville, South Carolina. The city runs five summer camp sites in low-income neighborhoods which have approximately 50 campers, in the age group 5-15. In these sites, all the participating children receive...
- Calcium and KIDS: A Pilot Program Developed to Increase Calcium Intakes in Third- through Sixth-Grade Children. Caine-Bish, Natalie; Gordon, Karen Lowry // Journal of Nutrition Education & Behavior;May/Jun2006, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p199
The article looks at a 10-week pilot program that was developed to heighten calcium intake in children. According to the article, children with low calcium intake have a greater risk of increased body fat and osteoporosis. Elements of the program included dairy and calcium nutrition education,...
- Summer Feeding Programs. // Digest (South Dakota Dietetic Association);May2015, p3
The article focuses on the Summer Food Service Program, the program of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) that aims to provide low income children nutritious meals when not in school session in South Dakota. Topics discussed include the plight of the program for support for its summer...
- THE munch bunch. Frassoni, Rosa // Woman's Day (Australia Edition);1/20/2003, p56
Emphasizes the significance of school lunch to children's health. Impact of nutrition on school performance; Correlation between poor diet and type-2 diabetes in children; Tips on preparing school lunch.
- CHILDHOOD HUNGER. SHAH, NIRVI // Education Week;3/2/2011, Vol. 30 Issue 22, p5
The article discusses the study "Hunger in Our Schools: Share Our Strength's Teachers Report" from the anti-hunger organization Share Our Strength, which reported on the percentage of U.S. teachers who reported having students who arrive to school hungry on a regular basis.
- SOS fights childhood poverty through new fund-raising initiative. Prewitt, Milford // Nation's Restaurant News;12/20/99, Vol. 33 Issue 51, p28
Reports on the initiative of Share Our Strength (SOS) to launch a fund raising program to benefit poor children in the United States. Request for members to donate one hour's wages to finance charitable movements that fight childhood poverty; Broadness of the program according to SOS officials.
- Our starving school kids. Papadakis, Mary // Nutridate;May2006, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p7
Focuses on the rising number of starving school children in Australia. Percentage of students who go to school without eating; Reasons of school children for skipping meals; Solutions recommended to address the growing number of malnourished schoolchildren in the country.
- NATIONAL. // Education Week;5/12/1993, Vol. 12 Issue 33, p2
The article presents information about a report titled "Eat to Learn, Learn to Eat: The Link Between Nutrition and Learning in Children," published last month by the National Health/Education Consortium, a group of 57 child-health and education groups in the U.S. The report alleges that child...
- WHAT'S IN YOUR CHILD'S LUNCHBOX? // Dairy Field;Oct2005, Vol. 188 Issue 10, p14
Reports on the Dairy Council of California's back-to-school campaign, which provides ways to pack nutritious, well-balanced lunches and snacks for children. Coverage of the campaign.