- The new politics of welfare state. Pierson, Paul // World Politics;Jan96, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p143
Examines the retrenchment in the welfare state. Differences between welfare state retrenchment and expansion; Reason for the differences in welfare state retrenchment; Limits of main theories of welfare state expansion; Features of welfare state politics.
- Evaluating the effect of neighbourhood weight matrices on smoothing properties of Conditional Autoregressive (CAR) models. Earnest, Arul; Morgan, Geoff; Mengersen, Kerrie; Ryan, Louise; Summerhayes, Richard; Beard, John // International Journal of Health Geographics;2007, Vol. 6, p54
Background: The Conditional Autoregressive (CAR) model is widely used in many small-area ecological studies to analyse outcomes measured at an areal level. There has been little evaluation of the influence of different neighbourhood weight matrix structures on the amount of smoothing performed...
- Neighbourhood socioeconomic status and maternal factors at birth as moderators of the association between birth characteristics and school attainment: a population study of children attending government schools in Western Australia. Malacova, E.; Li, J.; Blair, E.; Mattes, E.; de Klerk, N.; Stanley, F. // Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health;Oct2009, Vol. 63 Issue 10, p17
Background: This article investigates whether reading and writing skills among children of equivalent perinatal characteristics differ by neighbourhood socioeconomic status and maternal factors. Methods: Notifications of births for all non-Aboriginal singletons born in 1990-7 in Western...
- Which birth weight standards? // British Medical Journal;11/18/1978, Vol. 2 Issue 6149, p1384
Reports the publication of birth weight standards in Great Britain. Risks of physical and neuropsychological impairment for babies with low birth weight; Correlation between birth weight and gestational age; Influence of ethnic differences on fetal growth.
- Low Birth Weight Linked to Asthma. Potera, Carol // Environmental Health Perspectives;Mar2003, Vol. 111 Issue 3, pA148
Reports on the relation between low birth weight and asthma in children. Study of asthma occurrences in black and nonblack children; Role of low birth weight in explaining the racial differences in asthma; Factors associated with low birth weight.
- Teen Smoking and Birth Outcomes. Walker, Mary Beth; Tekin, Erdal; Wallace, Sally // Southern Economic Journal;Jan2009, Vol. 75 Issue 3, p892
Teen mothers in the United States are more likely to give birth to low birth weight babies. Substantial evidence indicates that smoking is a risk factor correlated with low birth weight. Low birth weight is a costly outcome for parents, children, and society at large. This paper examines the...
- Racial disparities in health-related quality of life in a cohort of very-low-birth-weight 2- and 3-year-olds with and without asthma. McManus, Beth Marie; Robert, Stephanie; Albanese, Aggie; Sadek-Badawi, Mona; Palta, Mari // Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health;Jul2012, Vol. 66 Issue 7, p579
Background Children born very low birth weight (VLBW) are at risk for low health-related quality of life (HRQoL), compared with normal-birth-weight peers, and racial disparities may compound the difference. Asthma is the most pervasive health problem among VLBW children and is also more common...
- Why babies die in D.C., part II. Korenman, Sanders // Public Interest;Fall94, Issue 117, p112
Presents a commentary on articles by Nicholas Eberstadt and Charles Murray on the relations between welfare, illegitimacy, low birth weight and infant mortality among Afro-Americans in Washington, D.C. Comparison with trends in the United States overall; Racial implications.
- Recent Immigration and Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes in an Urban Setting in Spain. Garcia-Subirats, Irene; Pérez, Glòria; Rodríguez-Sanz, Maica; Salvador, Joaquín; Jané, Mireia // Maternal & Child Health Journal;Jul2011, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p561
To describe social and economic inequalities in non-fatal pregnancy outcomes (low birth weight, preterm birth and small for gestational age births) in the neighbourhoods of the city of Barcelona (Spain), according to maternal age and maternal country of origin, between 1991 and 2005. A...
- Investigation of H19/RsaI Polymorphism in Children With Low Birth Weight in Pernambuco, Brazil. Maia, Paula; Souza, Paulo; Dornelas Angelo, Hildson; Santos, Igor; Martins, Danyelly; Filho, Jose Lima; Maia, Maria Mascena // Iranian Journal of Pediatrics;Apr2015, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p1
The article examines the link between H19/RsaI gene polymorphism and low birth weight in children born in the state of Pernambuco in Brazil. Topics discussed include the genetic influence of H19 on birth weight variation, collection of blood samples, and extraction of genomic DNA. Lack of...