IN THE NAVY
- Welcome to Phoenix Pride 2011! Sokolosky, Brandi // Echo Magazine;3/31/2011, Vol. 22 Issue 14, p110
The article presents the author's message regarding the Phoenix Pride in April 2011 in Arizona. The author acknowledges the dedications and support of the festival's board of directors, donors, sponsors, and the LGBT community in continuing the Pride tradition. The author also reflects the...
- UNITED KINGDOM. Wockner, Rex // Just Out;9/17/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 22, p23
Reports that the armed forces joined the British Gay Pride celebration for the first time on August 28, 2004.
- remember whenâ€¦. // Gay Times (09506101);Mar2008, Issue 354, p81
The article recalls several issues of interest to the GLBT community. One of the founders of the Gaydar web site, Gary Frisch, died after falling from the balcony of his home in Battersea, London, England in 2007. The Mardi Gras Organisation announced that Pride London was being held in Hyde...
- Volunteer with SLDN at Pride festival. Lehman, Bob // Gay & Lesbian Times;6/1/2006, Issue 962, p63
The article reports on the opportunity provided by Pride Festivals to Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN) to educate members of the public about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Men and women serving in the military will also be provided knowledge of the legal services of SLDN. Volunteers are...
- RAF recruits at Pride. // Gay Times (09506101);Oct2004, Issue 313, p61
Reports on the recruitment conducted by Royal Air Force, a sector of the Armed Forces, at the Manchester Gay Pride. Ruling of the European Court of Human Rights regarding the participation of gays in the Armed Forces; Other method used by the Armed Forces to recruit gay people.
- First openly gay army general appointed in US. Cosens, Stacey // Pink Paper;8/18/2012, p1
The article features Tammy Smith, a U.S. Army officer who has become the first openly gay Brigadier General, after being promoted to deputy chief in Army Reserve Office in Washington D.C. with ceremonies held at Women's Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery, receiving the stars from Tracey Hepner.
- Military veteran's story puts meaning behind festival's theme. Cavaliere, Stacey Jay // Echo Magazine;3/31/2011, Vol. 22 Issue 14, p50
The article focuses on the struggles of military veteran Karen Bovard who was forced to hide her sexuality while serving the U.S. Air Force. It notes that the theme of the 2011 Phoenix Pride in Arizona reflects the challenges faced by LGBT people like Bovard who were serving the military before...
- New Model Army. Hicklin, Aaron // Out;May2010, Vol. 18 Issue 9, p18
The author reflects on the lingering debate over gays in the military. He notes that it would be libelous and idiotic to claim that the inclusion of gays in the Dutch armed forces resulted in the genocide of 8,000 Muslims in Srebrenica, Bosnia in 1995. He regards the anti-gay logic of retired...
- Pentagon begins to implement 'stop-loss'. Roehr, Bob // Bay Area Reporter;9/27/2001, Vol. 31 Issue 39, p16
Reports on the U.S. Armed Forces' initiation of a procedure known as 'stop-loss' in an effort to prevent key service members from leaving the military. Continuation of the enforcement of the 'don't-ask-don't-tell' (DADT) policy towards gay and lesbian servicemembers; Gay community's call for a...