LAW NEWS IN BRIEF
- WORK PLACE RIGHTS. Burd, Michael; Davies, James; Silkin, Lewis // Management Today;Jul/Aug2014, Issue 7, p13
The article discusses equal-pay claims in Great Britain as of July 2014, including the significant cost of such claims to taxpayers and a claim by 400 female workers at the supermarket chain Asda of alleged sex discrimination in their pay compared to male distribution center workers.
- Date set for abolition of the default retirement age. // Employers Law;Feb2011, p5
The article reports on the confirmation by the British government regarding the phase out of the default retirement age (DRA) starting April 2011 despite calls from businesses to delay the process.
- Employers must revise diversity policies after record Â£19m claim. Peacock, Louisa // Employers Law;Jun2008, p4
The article focuses on the ruling by the British Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT) that City lawyer Gill Switalski was treated to 18 months of harassment and sex discrimination by City fund manager F&C Asset Management. The 51-year-old quit her job as head of legal affairs following bullying over...
- prejudice. Dawson, Claire // Estates Gazette;11/16/2013, Issue 1346, p16
The article focuses on discrimination against employees in Great Britain's real estate industry. Topics discussed include the differences between direct and indirect discrimination, discrimination against women returning from maternity leave, and discrimination against individuals because of...
- IN FOCUS. // Employers Law;Apr2008, p9
This section offers news briefs related to labor laws and legislation in Great Britain. The Sex Discrimination Act 1975 (SDA) was amended so that harassment need only be related to a victim's sex to contravene the SDA. In a case, the Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT) held that an employer is...
- April brings raft of new employment law. // Employers Law;Apr2011, p5
The article presents employment laws that would be implemented in April 2011 in Great Britain and will have major implications for employers including the abolishment of the default retirement age, the statutory maternity and paternity and adoption pay increase, and the Equality Act's positive...
- EDITOR'S COMMENT. O'Reilly, Noel // Employers Law;Mar2011, p3
In this article, the author discusses the unclear issues surrounding the enactment of new laws in Great Britain in April 2011, which include the regulations on the abolition of the default retirement age (DRA), the Bribery Act 2010, and the Equality Act.
- Raft of new laws to be enacted in April but some face delays. // Employers Law;Mar2011, p4
The article reports on the possible delay in the enactment of a few British employment laws, including the default retirement age (DRA) regulations, the Bribery Act 2010, and the Equality Act 2010.
- employment law timetable. // Employers Law;Nov2010, p4
The article presents a timetable for employment law in Great Britain for 2011, which include the right to request flexible working extended to parents of children aged under 18, the Equality Act 2010 and the abolishment of the default retirement age.