- Garden furniture. Jones, Simon // Antiques & Collecting Magazine;Feb96, Vol. 100 Issue 12, p28
Discusses the history of antique garden furniture. Origin of the use of statuary, menageries and temples as part of a garden layout; Construction of pigeon houses and dovecotes; Construction of the Chinese pagoda at Alton Towers in Straffordshire, England; Two limitations in the scope of...
- The Green Man. Creznic, Jean // Early American Homes;1997 Special Issue Gardens Issue, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p14
Offers information on the origin of the Green Man, a symbolic garden ornament. Physical description; Earliest known representation; Sacredness of individual trees and groves in ancient Europe and in England; Representation of the Green Man.
- Garden ornaments and necessities. // Early American Homes;1997 Special Issue Gardens Issue, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p70
Offers information on garden ornaments and furniture available for the period ended January 1997. Includes redware flower pots; Biblical wreath; Flower basket; Back porch wren house.
- Garden architecture: `Everything old is new again'. Mulligan, B. // Flower & Garden;Aug89, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p39
Discusses garden architecture, focusing on the use of structures, furnishings, and accessories based on past styles. Gives some contemporary examples of garden architecture. Edwardian and Victorian English gardens; Gazebos; Pergolas; Author's use of wrought latticework in his garden designs;...
- Dutch tulips whirligig. Lunde, A.S.; Thurston, F.A. // Flower & Garden;Feb1990, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p78
Explains how to make a Dutch-tulip-motif whirligig. Materials list; Assembly; `Whirligigs In Silhouette,' a book by Anders S. Lunde.
- Alternatives to sculpture. Eck, Joe // Horticulture;Apr94, Vol. 72 Issue 4, p20
Examines the historic role of sculpture in the garden and suggests appropriate objects to be used in the garden for decorative purposes. Avoiding pretension; Garden design theorists' views of sculpture in the garden; Examples of a pebbly-textured pot on a stone trough, repetition of a simple...
- Build a Copper Trellis. // OG;Sep/Oct2002, Vol. 49 Issue 5, p46
Presents the step-by-step procedures in making freestanding trellises. Materials and tools.
- The ultimate garden companion. Walters, Kathryn // Country Journal;Sep/Oct96, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p30
Presents tips on building and dressing scarecrows for gardens. Suitability of straw gardening hat as headgear; Practicality of blue work shirts and dungarees; Effectiveness of placing broken mirrors.
- Period lawn ornaments. Vila, B. // Popular Mechanics;May90, Vol. 167 Issue 5, p46
Discusses the use of a cast-iron lawn ornament when restoring a turn-of-the-century garden. Tips on finding an ornament; Source list.