NEWS IN BRIEF
- Financial Services in the United States: The Next Decade. White, Lawrence J. // Business Economics;Oct98, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p27
Provides an overview of the institutional structure of the financial services sector in the United States (US). Impact of the financial regulation to the US economy; Factors that influenced the financial services sector of 1998.
- At your service: The new global economy takes your order. Mead, Walter Russel // Mother Jones;Mar/Apr98, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p32
Contemplates on the transition of the United States economy into a service oriented market. Implications of deflation; Overview of factors that signal a changing economy; Advantages of a service economy; Imperfections of a service economy; Suggested steps for improving the lives of the...
- Cause for Concern, Optimism in Subprime. Bergquist, Erick // American Banker;9/27/2001, Vol. 166 Issue 186, p1
Offers a look at the impact on subprime lenders of the economic conditions in the United States. Possible effect on the sector of incurring more delinquencies, foreclosures and losses on subprime loans and assets backed by them; Potential for new customers; Optimism of industry officials that...
- From the TM3 wire. Molis, Jim; Sherman, Lynn; Selway, William // Bond Buyer;08/24/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30463, p2
Presents news concerning the economic conditions in the United States as well as news from the financial services industry, compiled as of August 24, 1998. Acquisition of J.J.B. Hilliard, W.L. Lyons Inc. by PNC Bank Corp.; Growing number of issuers opting to sell revenue-backed paper due to...
- More Enron Fallout Customer Financial Statements To Get ClOSer Look by Lenders. Jacoby, Michael E. // Secured Lender;Jul/Aug2002, Vol. 58 Issue 4, p64
Presents information on the results of the 'Phoenix Lending Survey,' an economic survey among U.S. lending institutions, released as of July 2002. Percentage who said investor skittishness, heightened sensitivity toward financial reporting and increased scrutiny by lenders would last into 2003...
- Evolution of banking in progress. Schulte, Laura // Las Vegas Business Press;9/30/2002, Vol. 19 Issue 39, p5
Reports on the evolution of the U.S. financial services industry. Dissolution of traditional banking; Impact of deregulation on competition; Convenience, competitive pricing and choice for customers.
- Finance & insurance: Digest. // Automotive News;2/28/2000, Vol. 74 Issue 5863, p26
Presents developments in the finance and insurance industry in the United States as of February 2000. Includes acquisition of the Lyndon Insurance Group by the Protective Life Insurance Co.; Sale of face value subordinated notes by the Onyx Acceptance Corp.; Introduction of the Internet credit...
- 30 Minutes with the President: Financial Executives Press Terror Case. Heller, Michele // American Banker;1/18/2002, Vol. 167 Issue 13, p1
Focuses on the support of the chief executives of the financial services companies on the efforts U.S. President George W. Bush to stimulate the economy. Establishment of terrorism insurance system; Impact of the system on the pricing of loans and the construction; Need for the government to...
- Panel: Agent alliances, level comp. in future. King, Carole Ann // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;10/12/98, Vol. 102 Issue 41, p6
Focuses on the outcomes of a panel discussion on the future of the financial services industry in the United States. Alliance of agents with other producers and professionals; Levelized basis of compensation; Introduction of more fee-based products; Increased applicability of technology.