- Man sacked for showing naked ambition. // Personnel Today;2/1/2005, p44
The article reports that a worker in Des Moines, Iowa, has been fired from his job as a greeter at Wal-Mart for welcoming customers to his store with a photo of himself naked except for a strategically placed sack. Dean Wooten, had been working at the Wal-Mart for seven years when bosses heard...
- How to Make a Counteroffer. Falcone, Paul // HRMagazine;Nov2003, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p115
Presents information on creating a counteroffer strategy for employees who want to leave their jobs. Typical reasons for employee resignation; Importance for counteroffers to stem from a genuine concern for the needs of the subordinate; Example for initiating a counteroffer decision.
- How should I fire? Jurkiewicz, John // Pest Control;Mar2005, Vol. 73 Issue 3, p45
Discusses four practices to consider before terminating employees. Make company policies employee-friendly; Documentation; Terminating employees at will without breaking any labor laws; Securing a second opinion. INSET: See Jave run.
- Three Truths About Firing. Mackay, Harvey // Across the Board;Sep/Oct2005, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p12
This article presents three truths about firing employees.
- When It's Time to Say Good-by. Teratanavat, Ratapol; Kleiner, Brian // Nonprofit World;Mar/Apr2005, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p12
Discusses ways on how to discharge workers without legal difficulties. difference of layoff and termination; Grounds for termination; Development of layoff and termination strategy.
- PRACTICAL CONSIDERATIONS OF EMPLOYEE TERMINATION. Allison, Loren // Business People;Aug2012, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p60
The article offers practical guides on terminating erring employees. According to the article, inconsistency in the application of discipline is a serious problem that may result in costly litigations so that it is imperative that discipline follow reasonably close in time to the conduct for...
- Successful Sourcing: Strategy 39: Roadkill. Pritchard, Christopher W. // 101 Strategies for Recruiting Success;2007, p89
This section from chapter 2 of the book "101 Strategies for Recruiting Success" offers ideas for having a layoff or downsizing. The section reminds that one company's loss is another's gain. It suggests to call the human resource department before making a layoff or downsizing. It also asserts...
- Creating a Layoff Survival Kit. Scanlan, Ann // Intercom;Apr2004, Vol. 51 Issue 4, p14
Discusses the strategies to be able to survive job layoffs. Revisions that must be made to your resumes; Research on the job market in preparation for the future; Establishment of a network of contacts.
- letters and views. Long, Tony; Krafft, Lynn; Weiss, Peter; Jordan, Ken; Nash, Timothy; Lowery, Toni; Simmons, Mack; Samson, Ed; Jess, Robert; Townsend, Chaz // Cleaning & Maintenance Management;Jul2010, Vol. 47 Issue 7, p8
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to a question on when employees should be notified about the expiration of a contract which may lead to their dismissal from employment.