- Man sacked for showing naked ambition. // Personnel Today;2/1/2005, p44
The article reports that a worker in Des Moines, Iowa, has been fired from his job as a greeter at Wal-Mart for welcoming customers to his store with a photo of himself naked except for a strategically placed sack. Dean Wooten, had been working at the Wal-Mart for seven years when bosses heard...
- A TIME SERIES ANALYSIS OF LAYOFF RATES. Barth, Peter S. // Journal of Human Resources;Fall71, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p448
This study attempts to shed some light on labor market behavior by examining layoff rates. Multiple regressions are employed to estimate layoff rate functions for 20 manufacturing industries using quarterly data. Some industries are found to postpone layoffs in the face of falling demand by at...
- How should I fire? Jurkiewicz, John // Pest Control;Mar2005, Vol. 73 Issue 3, p45
Discusses four practices to consider before terminating employees. Make company policies employee-friendly; Documentation; Terminating employees at will without breaking any labor laws; Securing a second opinion. INSET: See Jave run.
- Three Truths About Firing. Mackay, Harvey // Across the Board;Sep/Oct2005, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p12
This article presents three truths about firing employees.
- The redundancy process. Thomas, Clare // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;7/29/2011, Vol. 201 Issue 4688, p48
The article focuses on the process of redundancy and offers suggestions regarding fair redundancy procedure. As mentioned, redundancy is a potentially fair reason for dismissal providing there is a genuine redundancy situation. As suggested, one should use objective selection criteria and be...
- Successful Sourcing: Strategy 39: Roadkill. Pritchard, Christopher W. // 101 Strategies for Recruiting Success;2007, p89
This section from chapter 2 of the book "101 Strategies for Recruiting Success" offers ideas for having a layoff or downsizing. The section reminds that one company's loss is another's gain. It suggests to call the human resource department before making a layoff or downsizing. It also asserts...
- THE BAD EGG. Tebo, Margaret Graham // ABA Journal;Oct2004, Vol. 90 Issue 10, p40
Offers pieces of advice to employers with regards to the dismissing of employees. Factors needed to be considered by employers in employee dismissal; Views of employment lawyer Patricia Gillen; Tips on how employers should behave during an actual firing conversation.
- letters and views. Long, Tony; Krafft, Lynn; Weiss, Peter; Jordan, Ken; Nash, Timothy; Lowery, Toni; Simmons, Mack; Samson, Ed; Jess, Robert; Townsend, Chaz // Cleaning & Maintenance Management;Jul2010, Vol. 47 Issue 7, p8
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to a question on when employees should be notified about the expiration of a contract which may lead to their dismissal from employment.
- How to Fire An Employee. Scott, Howard // American Drycleaner;Jul2005, Vol. 72 Issue 4, p66
This article focuses on firing of employees. Do not spring the dismissal on the employee without warning. Give two or three admonitions first. Make it clear that his performance is not acceptable. Talk about whatever the problem is; poor workmanship, a lack of follow through or excessive...