- What to Say When ... // Communication Briefings;Dec2015, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p5
The article offers tips on terminating an employee which include talking to the employee in private, explaining the reason for the termination and not allowing the employee to debate or argue with the decision.
- Man sacked for showing naked ambition. // Personnel Today;2/1/2005, p44
The article reports that a worker in Des Moines, Iowa, has been fired from his job as a greeter at Wal-Mart for welcoming customers to his store with a photo of himself naked except for a strategically placed sack. Dean Wooten, had been working at the Wal-Mart for seven years when bosses heard...
- Fire An Employee The Right Way. // Successful Supervisor;2015, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p3
The article discusses the proper way to terminate an employee, based on Susan M. Heathfield's "How To Fire With Compassion and Class" including giving the employee a chance to ask questions, retrieving company property from the employee, and escorting the employee out of the building.
- WHO GETS THE AX? Winski, Joseph M. // Advertising Age;1/28/91, Vol. 62 Issue 4, p27
The article the issue of choosing which employee to fire when an advertising agency lose accounts in the United States. Staff cuts in response to an account loss may weaken service to remaining accounts and place them in jeopardy. Still, employees account for 60% to 70% of agencies' operating costs.
- Nightmare Firings. LaMotta, Connie // Direct;Jun2004, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p46
Cites several bad firing of employees working in direct marketing firms. Occasions that are considered a bad timing for terminating an employee; Ways to dismiss an employee on the spot; Best way to lessen the awkwardness in dismissing an employee.
- MANAGEMENT IMPLICATIONS OF REDUCTION IN FORCE. Cayer, N. Joseph // Public Administration Quarterly;Spring86, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p36
This article explores the implications of reduction-in-force policy for managers in the public sector in the U.S. Cutbacks have several implications for personnel issues in public organizations and many of those issues relate directly to functions of the agency managers. Reduction-in-force...
- PRACTICAL CONSIDERATIONS OF EMPLOYEE TERMINATION. Allison, Loren // Business People;Aug2012, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p60
The article offers practical guides on terminating erring employees. According to the article, inconsistency in the application of discipline is a serious problem that may result in costly litigations so that it is imperative that discipline follow reasonably close in time to the conduct for...
- PRACTICAL CONSIDERATIONS OF EMPLOYEE TERMINATION. Allison, Loren // Business People;Oct2012, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p70
The article focuses on employee termination. It suggests alternatives to immediate termination as penalty for employee offenses or unsatisfactory performance in order to have a better case in the event the issue is presented before the judge or arbitrator. It also offers steps in terminating an...
- Exit strategy when all avenues have been exhausted. Newman, Darren // Employers Law;May2013, p18
The article presents the second part of a two-part report on how to handle an underperforming employee. It discusses the purpose and procedures for holding a formal management hearing. The article also informs that the employer should decide, at the conclusion of the management hearing, on an...