High levels of multidrug resistant tuberculosis in new and treatment-failure patients from the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme in an urban metropolis (Mumbai) in Western India
- Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis, Somalia, 2010-2011. Sindani, Ireneaus; Fitzpatrick, Christopher; Falzon, Dennis; Suleiman, Bashir; Arube, Peter; Adam, Ismail; Baghdadi, Samiha; Bassili, Amal; Zignol, Matteo // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Mar2013, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p478
In a nationwide survey in 2011, multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR TB) was found in 5.2% and 40.8% of patients with new and previously treated TB, respectively. These levels of drug resistance are among the highest ever documented in Africa and the Middle East. This finding presents a serious...
- Multidrug and Extensively Drug-resistant Tuberculosis in Canada 1997-2008: Demographic and Disease Characteristics. Minion, Jessica; Gallant, Victor; Wolfe, Joyce; Jamieson, Frances; Long, Richard // PLoS ONE;Jan2013, Vol. 8 Issue 1, Special section p1
Setting: Nationwide Canadian public health surveillance. Objective: Description of demographic features and disease characteristics of drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) in Canada over a 12 year period. Design: Continuous surveillance of all cases of culture-confirmed TB in Canada. Demographic and...
- High Prevalence of Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis, Swaziland, 2009-2010. Sanchez-Padilla, Elisabeth; Dlamini, Themba; Ascorra, Alexandra; Rüsch-Gerdes, Sabine; Tefera, Zerihun Demissie; Calain, Philippe; de la Tour, Roberto; Jochims; Richter, Elvira; Bonnet, Maryline // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Jan2012, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p29
In Africa, although emergence of multidrug-resistant (MDR) tuberculosis (TB) represents a serious threat in countries severely affected by the HIV epidemic, most countries lack drug-resistant TB data. This finding was particularly true in the Kingdom of Swaziland, which has the world's highest...
- Emergence and Spread of Extensively and Totally Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis, South Africa. Klopper, Marisa; Warren, Robin Mark; Hayes, Cindy; van Pittius, Nicolaas Claudius Gey; Streicher, Elizabeth Maria; Müller, Borna; Sirgel, Frederick Adriaan; Chabula-Nxiweni, Mamisa; Hoosain, Ebrahim; Coetzee, Gerrit; van Helden, Paul David; Victor, Thomas Calldo; Trollip, André Phillip // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Mar2013, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p449
Factors driving the increase in drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa, are not understood. A convenience sample of 309 drug-susceptible and 342 multidrug-resistant (MDR) TB isolates, collected July 2008-July 2009, were characterized by spoligotyping, DNA...
- Drug-resistant TB poses a higher risk to people in prison. // Nursing Standard;5/5/2010, Vol. 24 Issue 35, p17
The article discusses research which found that prisoners were at a higher risk for developing drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) than their non-incarcerated counterparts.
- Role of clofazimine in the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: a retrospective observational cohort assessment. Xu, Hong-Bin; Jiang, Rui-Hua; Tang, Shen-Jie; Li, Ling; Xiao, He-Ping // Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (JAC);Mar2014, Vol. 69 Issue 3, pe1
The article presents the notice of retraction for the study "Role of clofazimine in the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: a retrospective observational cohort assessment," by Hong-Bin Xu and colleagues.
- Prevalence of Multidrug Resistant Pulmonary Tuberculosis in North Bihar. TRIPATHY, SUNITA; KUMAR, RAJESH; SINGH, SURYA DEO // Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research;Nov2015, Vol. 9 Issue 11, p9
Introduction: Multidrug resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) is caused by Infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis which is resistant to both isoniazid (INH) and rifampicin (RIF), with or without any other anti tubercular drug. It is caused by resistant mutant strains due to inadequate treatment and...
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: resistance rates to first and reserve antituberculosis drugs in the UK in 2008/9 and the role of rapid molecular tests for drug resistance. Mitchell, S. L.; Seoudi, N.; Hutchison, D. C. S.; Drobniewski, F. A. // Thorax;Jul2011, Vol. 66 Issue 7, p630
A letter to the editor is presented regarding a study which investigated the resistance rates and the role played by rapid molecular testing in multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDRTB) patients in Great Britain from January 2008 and December 2009.
- Safety and Tolerability Profile of Second-Line Anti-Tuberculosis Medications. Ramachandran, Geetha; Swaminathan, Soumya // Drug Safety;Mar2015, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p253
Tuberculosis (TB) remains a major public health problem, representing the second leading cause of death from infectious diseases globally, despite being nearly 100 % curable. Multidrug-resistant (MDR)-TB, a form of TB resistant to isoniazid and rifampicin (rifampin), two of the key first-line TB...