Prevalence and correlates of vitamin D status in African American men
- In This Issue: Through the Lens of a Clinician. Acheson, Louise S. // Annals of Family Medicine;Nov/Dec2012, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p490
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including the placebo-controlled trial among vitamin D-deficient people, the prevalence of undiagnosed asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and the treatment of ingrown toenails.
- 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in African-American and Caucasian/Hispanic subjects with cutaneous lupus erythematosus. // Current Medical Literature: Dermatology;2012, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p52
The article presents a study which compares the serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in 25 African Americans with cutaneous lupus erythematosus (CLE) and 26 normal African Americans. The study used a questionnaire on medical history, demographics, and lifestyle habits. Results show that almost of...
- Vitamin D Status in Moroccan Patients with Pemphigus. Bouaddi, M.; Bouaddi, I.; Jouid, K.; Benzzi, H.; Abouqal, R.; Allali, F.; Hajjaj-Hassouni, N.; Hassam, B. // British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research;2015, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p50
Objective: The aim of this study was to assess the vitamin D status and the factors that may influence this vitamin in Moroccan patients with pemphigus. Study Design: Case-control study. Place and Duration of Study: Department of Dermatology at the University Hospital of Rabat- SalÃ© between...
- High Prevalence of Vitamin D Insufficiency in China: Relationship with the Levels of Parathyroid Hormone and Markers of Bone Turnover. Han-Kui Lu; Zeng Zhang; Yao-Hua Ke; Jin-Wei He; Wen-Zhen Fu; Chang-Qing Zhang; Zhen-Lin Zhang // PLoS ONE;Nov2012, Vol. 7 Issue 11, Special section p1
There is a lack of large-scale studies on vitamin D status and its relationship to parathyroid hormone (PTH) and bone turnover markers in adults living in Shanghai. The objectives were to determine the prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in Shanghai and to investigate the relationship of...
- Maternal Vitamin D Deficiency Delays Glomerular Maturity in F1 and F2 Offspring. Nascimento, Fernanda A. M.; Ceciliano, Thais C.; Aguila, Marcia B.; Mandarim-De-Lacerda, Carlos A.; Smith, Brenda // PLoS ONE;Aug2012, Vol. 7 Issue 8, Special section p1
Background: There is a high prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in women of reproductive age. Methods: This work studied the first two generations of offspring (F1 and F2) of Swiss mice from mothers fed one of two diets: SC (standard chow) or VitD- (vitamin D-deficient). Functional and...
- Vitamin D deficiency in Korean children: prevalence, risk factors, and the relationship with parathyroid hormone levels. In Hyuk Chung; Hae Jung Kim; Sochung Chung; Eun-Gyong Yoo // Annals of Pediatric Endocrinology & Metabolism;2014, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p86
Purpose: This study was performed to investigate the relationship between serum vitamin D and parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels as well as to describe the prevalence and the risk factors of vitamin D deficiency (VDD) in Korean children. Methods: Participants were 1,212 children aged 4 to 15...
- Is Vitamin D Important in the Prevention of Dementia? Lin, Michael // Internal Medicine Alert;3/15/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p35
The article presents a study about the significance of vitamin D in the prevention of dementia in the U.S.
- Vitamin D deficiency plays role in non-healing metatarsal fracture. Lee, Stephanie L. // Endocrine Today;Jan2013, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p28
The article presents the case of a 41-year-old female with non-healing metatarsal fracture and shows how vitamin D deficiency played a role in her condition.
- Vitamin D from the sun or supplements? Kuritzky, Louis // Primary Care Reports;Aug2010 Clinical Briefs, p16
The article discusses research on Vitamin D deficiency, with reference to a study by V. Terushkin and colleagues in a 2010 issue of the "Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology."